Conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

I have an existing 2-1/2" Conduit feeding a 125A panel. The panel and associated feeders are being replaced. New panel will be 3PH 4W with ground. I would like to get the largest feeders as possible for new panel. For 300 MCM feeders (3 + Neutral) and ground (#2), all copper THHN, the ampacity should be around 228A, correct?
Is this going to be a bear to pull? Conduit has 2 90's but is fairly short, <50'. Thanks.

gramps

Re: Conduit fill

well, if memory serves, (i dont have my code book handy), the maximum number of of the conductors you specified is 4, in 2-1/2" conduit, so, with the #2 ground, you are already over-filled. and, to answer your other question, "yes", it would probably be a BEAR to pull.

gramps

gramps

thanks for the clarification roger.... :)

i kinda forgot about EMT, cause i dont run much of it.

gramps

iwire

Staff member

jtb,
Are you going to pull this in by hand? You may want to have more then a few guys for this, use a rope and some pulleys to get the rope heading in a good direction for pulling and use plenty of wire lube, if you are not used to using wire lube it makes a huge difference. The person feeding will have to keep the wires from crossing each other or it will jam.

[ March 09, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.