Conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikingo1

When I am adjusting the ampacity of a raceway that all ready have 3 current carrying conductor do I have to derate more for spares and travelers?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I am adjusting the ampacity of a raceway that all ready have 3 current carrying conductor do I have to derate more for spares and travelers?

The code makes no exception for travelers however the spares can be argued. IMO, they are not current carrying conductors but it may defeat the purpose of pulling them if the next guy has to derate when they energize them. The code is not clear but, IMO, it would be prudent to derate.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would never count both travelers...only one can carry current at a time and the deratiing is based on the number or current carrying conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think we have to look close now under table 310.15(B)(3)(a) in the 2011 code it says Number of conductors is the total number of conductors.

Read it again. This was just added to the 2011 to make it even more confusing. :)You need to also read notes 310.15(B)(5) and (6).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may get away without counting the travelers but the code states ccc. It does not say only count the ones that come on simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.