Conduit Installation Indoors Above Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElectrician

Hey Guys,

I'm installing a conduit on a low hanging ceiling in the basement, is there a minimum clearance from the floor to the conduit (or how low the conduit can hang from the ceiling)? Can anyone guide me to any code that details this?

Thank you

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Well, I'd start by going to the Article in the Code for the specific type of conduit, and look for the language describing whether it needs physical protection, or not.

Have you chosen the type of conduit you are going to install?

480sparky

I sure hope there's not a minimum distance from the floor a conduit can be installed. If there were, you would never be able to penetrate a floor with it.

TheElectrician

I sure hope there's not a minimum distance from the floor a conduit can be installed. If there were, you would never be able to penetrate a floor with it.

The way i'm installing is -The conduit penetrates from the roof into the basement and take a 90 degree turn once the conduit is penetrated into the basement and it is fixed along the ceiling. As this ceiling is low in height, I wanted to know if I had to follow a code to know how low it can hang from the ceiling.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMC is covered in Article 342. Section 342.30 is for support and securing. There is no minimum height requirement.

TheElectrician

kwired

Electron manager
Building codes and clearances will be dependent on type and use of the space in question.

An egress path will have more clearance requirements than a storage room in pretty much any occupancy type.

Status
Not open for further replies.