Conduit Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
110.21 is one section, and the '120' sub section of each different conduit section (ie; 356.120)

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Labels are not markings in terms of the demands of 110.21 or the .120 sections of the wiring methods.

Guess the OP needs to be more specific....are you talking about Markings or Labels?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mstrlucky74

Labels are not markings in terms of the demands of 110.21 or the .120 sections of the wiring methods.

Guess the OP needs to be more specific....are you talking about Markings or Labels?

Have to read 110.21... I'm talking about specs saying to label conduits every 15' or any other footage.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Ahhh....the labels you seek in 110.21 are field applied hazard markings or Labels.

110.21 Marking.
(A) Manufacturer’s Markings. The manufacturer’s name, trademark, or other descriptive marking by which the orga- nization responsible for the product can be identified shall be placed on all electrical equipment. Other markings that indicate voltage, current, wattage, or other ratings shall be provided as specified elsewhere in this Code. The marking or label shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Have to read 110.21... I'm talking about specs saying to label conduits every 15' or any other footage.
That is not part of the NEC....you have to comply with the requirements of the contract documents. Those documents should tell you every thing you need to know about the labels they want to see on the conduits.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That is not part of the NEC....you have to comply with the requirements of the contract documents. Those documents should tell you every thing you need to know about the labels they want to see on the conduits.

I agree and I think that is what the OP is asking. Some spec's want the conduits field marked with things such as voltage, panel origin, or type of system (i.e: fire alarm, power, lighting, BMS, A/V etc.). We have also installed factory colored EMT for system identification.

mgookin

I concur.

That engineer should be telling you what standards that label (if the labeling requires a label) has to meet and under what conditions they can be applied. Concerns are UV exposure if exposed to UV, temperature rating, waterproof, yellowing, etc... pretty much everything that comes into play for a label that goes on a NRTL listed product. And as to conditions of applying the labels, obviously clean dry pipe within a given ambient temperature where the labels and pipe are at the same temperature, etc... Maybe wipe them with alcohol and let sit 2 minutes...

If all you are marking is voltage, you can have stencils and spray paint or a roller. That would still be labeling. Don't paint frozen, muddy pipe, make sure the paint is at proper temperature, etc.

mstrlucky74

I agree and I think that is what the OP is asking. Some spec's want the conduits field marked with things such as voltage, panel origin, or type of system (i.e: fire alarm, power, lighting, BMS, A/V etc.). We have also installed factory colored EMT for system identification.

Correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.