Conduit Offsets Penatrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinzeldm

Is It A Code Violation For A Conduit To Penerate A Box Opening Without Having An Offset??? Or Can A Piece Of Conduit [ Emt ] Enter A Box Opening Without Having An Offset To Hit The Box Square? Thanks

peter

If your last support before the box is 36", since the hole in the box is about 1/2" above the bottom, then the angle of the conduit entering the box would be very close to prependicular. This won't look good if this arrangement is mounted on a surface such as a stud. But it should work.
That referenced thread concerns a lock-nut that only contacted a small area of the box. That was because the fellow underbent his 2" 90.
In turn, there was another thread about "Is speed important?" In which case, this became a matter of the poor chap getting the job "done" fast and is now facing an expensive and time consuming repair. [He may save the day with a grounding bushing though.]
Are you afraid of conduit offsets? If so, Greenlee makes a couple of handy tools for making them quickly, easily and uniformly.
Also, as implied above, you can elevate your conduit with conduit hangers [Minnies, Mineralacs, cowboys, whatever] or wood shims.
~Peter

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One could quote section 110.12 Mechnical Execution of Work. The fitting is designed for the shoulder to seat squarely against the box. If you don't want to bend a kick, Greenlee makes a great tool that makes the kick in one shot. or use backstraps.

I don't the issue in bending an offset, it takes but a minute.

SiddMartin

Dont know about the code, but it looks like crap if you dont offset it. Only takes a sec. and looks 100% better with the offset.

ultramegabob

Your conduit needs to run squarely into the j-box whether you use an offset or not. You may be able to run a coduit straight in if your using minis, or if you are using unistrut and make your own holes.

JJWalecka

I try and promote quality workmanship. I personally like stand off clips for limited applications, I was taught to bend the offset. If you have a pipe run twenty feet in the air with a drop ceiling I don?t think that is much of an eye sore, though it?s not the best work. If the connector and locknut is installed tightly I doubt any one would get hurt.

Just my two cents.

JJ

JJWalecka

Has anyone noticed that when using a mini (stand off) clip it almost needs a small offset, back toward the surface, to enter the box squarely?

Its almost as though the stand off brings the pipe off the wall too much.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.