Conduit Penetrations through Foundation

rmerz01

Occupation
Project Manager
Engineer is saying we owe link-seals on our conduit penetrations through the foundation. It's all underground. Dirt on both sides. As far as I'm aware, link-seals are used when you penetrate into dry space. It makes no sense to use it from dirt to dirt. Anyone have experience here?

rmerz01

Occupation
Project Manager
What do the job specs require?
It says "Install sleeve-seal systems in sleeves in exterior concrete walls and slabs-on-grade at raceway entries into building."
Where I would disagree is that it's not "into building". We're penetrating the foundation and running the conduit under the slab. We're technically not in the building yet, we're below it in the dirt.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For dirt to dirt link seals are a waste of someone's money. We use them as you've mentioned dirt outside to inside dry spaces and then the waterproofers seal them on the outside.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It says "Install sleeve-seal systems in sleeves in exterior concrete walls and slabs-on-grade at raceway entries into building."
Where I would disagree is that it's not "into building". We're penetrating the foundation and running the conduit under the slab. We're technically not in the building yet, we're below it in the dirt.
Then it doesn't apply to this penetration.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If the engineer is requiring the sleeve, based on strict wording of above, regardless of "Does it make sense", it is not a violation to provide the un-necessary serve no purpose sleeve.
If wording above is exact it is calling for penetration of exterior concrete wall AND slab penetration into building.
Could ask for justification, explanation, from engineer for the penetration dirt to dirt needing sleeve seals.