Conduit Potting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

I have (3) handholes at a condo complex located in (3) planters. The branch circuit feed to each handhole is in PVC and goes back to a 12 x 12 pull box mounted on the side of a wall. The problem I am having is the pull box is considerably lower then the planters and so when any water gets into the pipes it all flows to the box which fills up and shorts. I was wondering if anyone is aware of an approved way to pot or seal around the wiring entering the box preventing water from entering.
Also, this is a service call not an installation so I do not have the option of a different installation method.

Thanks
Dustin-H.I.C. Electric
www.hicelectric.com

cadpoint

Is this one of these jobs where you have to roll your eyes as to what you should do as opposed to what they will let you do? It seems both are just to low.

If the feed is from up yonder, I'm not sure you?ll ever stop this surge.

I would think the first problem is to raise the first access(s) to grade or get it out of the planter all together. It must be in an irrigated area to be that wet.

If you got the three hand holes out of the planter/garden turned up to grade, could you turn back down the straight pipe from there and eliminate the 12 x 12?

Don't forget "No Cut's" and watch out for the Sprinklers, Good Luck!

225.22 Raceways on Exterior Surfaces of Buildings of other Structures.
Raceways on exterior of building or other structures shall be arranged to drain and shall be raintight in wet locations.

314.15 Damp or Wet Locations.
In damp or wet location, boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture form entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body, or fitting.

The arranged to drain does not mean drain into the pull box. ;)

I would try a couple of things. I would drill a small hole in the PVC, to help reduce the water issue inside the raceway.
Then, as Augie suggested, I would duct seal both ends of the raceway as a precaution.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The ones I normally install have open bottoms. There is no way to provide a water tight connection.

"Connections" probably wasn't the right word to use - I realize there isn't any way to make the conduit connections water tight.

But shouldn't the "electrical connnections" be made with a water-tight connector whenever they are made in a handhole? I thinking of the submersible connector kits that I think are also used on well pumps.

Doesn't the code require those for splices made in a handhole box, or at least a handhole box that is subject to being flooded?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
"Connections" probably wasn't the right word to use - I realize there isn't any way to make the conduit connections water tight.

But shouldn't the "electrical connnections" be made with a water-tight connector whenever they are made in a handhole? I thinking of the submersible connector kits that I think are also used on well pumps.

Doesn't the code require those for splices made in a handhole box, or at least a handhole box that is subject to being flooded?
Yes the electrical connections have to be water tight, but the conduit does not.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Just drill a small hole in the bottom of the pull box. Trying to seal the conduit around the wires will just be a waste of time in my opinion.

I almost always drill drain holes in any exterior boxes I install.

smarkv

sealing conduit

sealing conduit

There is a poduct sold at homedepot in the paint section called loc-tight, it works very well with this type situation also the wire terminations need to be sealed with a 3M resin kit.

Cavie

Use potting material on both ends such as the Pool builders use to seal around the wires for wet nich light fixtures. Seal off potting works well also. Use silicone filled wire nuts and drill drain holes in the bottom of the pull box.

Status
Not open for further replies.