Conduit Run for Shunt Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer76

First of all i posted this in the NEC forum i guess i should have posted it here, also I am not sure this is a parallel circuits issue

I have a question, for an application with a shunt trip CB, in class 1 division 2;

Running the low voltage 120v and high voltage 480v in the same conduit

The CB enclosure has only two entries for the incoming power and supply to the building,

In past application I have installed a tee just after the union and seal to branch off for the trip supply, to keep control separate from power

My question is can I run the 120 volt for the trip in the same conduit, I have been reading under parallel circuits, and not sure if this will be acceptable for this application

What section can I find this information

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
killer76 said:
First of all i posted this in the NEC forum i guess i should have posted it here,

You had 22 views over in the NEC forum, the likely reason no one responded is they did not know the answer....neither do I.

Give it some time and someone will likely chime in.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see any issues. Your 120 volt shunt trip circuit is an Article 725 Class 1 Circuit and is permitted to be installed with functionally associated power conductors. This assumes that both the 480 and 120 volt conductors have 600 volt insulation.
Don

killer76

forum help

forum help

yes both has 600v, thank you for your help

I am very sorry to post again I just figured I posted it in the incorrect location

thanks again this forum is so very helpfull

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
I don't see any issues. Your 120 volt shunt trip circuit is an Article 725 Class 1 Circuit and is permitted to be installed with functionally associated power conductors. This assumes that both the 480 and 120 volt conductors have 600 volt insulation.
Don

why does it have to be a class 1 circuit. run it in #14 and its no longer an issue.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
why does it have to be a class 1 circuit. run it in #14 and its no longer an issue.
It is a 120 volt control circuit, how is it not a an Article 725 Class 1 circuit?
Don

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
Bob,

It is a 120 volt control circuit, how is it not a an Article 725 Class 1 circuit?
Don

Is a 120V control circuit always automatically a class 1 circuit? What about control circuits that don't meet the definition in article 725?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
Is a 120V control circuit always automatically a class 1 circuit? What about control circuits that don't meet the definition in article 725?
Give me an example...I can't think of any 120 volt control circuits that are not Article 725 Class 1 circuits.
725.1 Scope
This article covers remote-control, signaling, and power-limited circuits that are not an integral part of a device or appliance.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.