Conduit Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlle2022

Occupation
Electrician
Is a conduit seal required between a Class 1 div 1 area and a Class 1 div 2 area? From what i have been reading you need a conduit seal only when exiting these areas to a unclassified area not between divisions.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
see 501.14(A)(4) and 501.15(B)(2). Both boundaries require seals.
I "liked" it, but I believe you meant 501.15(A)(4).

Is a conduit seal required between a Class 1 div 1 area and a Class 1 div 2 area? From what i have been reading you need a conduit seal only when exiting these areas to a unclassified area not between divisions.
See the first sentence in each Section Don mentioned. Every boundary crossing requires a seal, even between Classes and Divisions.

Hustlle2022

Occupation
Electrician
So my understanding of the above would be the seal would be placed on the Div 2 side conduit leaving the hazardous area to a non hazardous area?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
So my understanding of the above would be the seal would be placed on the Div 2 side conduit leaving the hazardous area to a non hazardous area?
Your original question was, “Is a conduit seal required between a Class 1 div 1 area and a Class 1 div 2 area?”
What does Section 501.15(A)(4) tell you?

Hustlle2022

Occupation
Electrician
My interpretation is the wiring method and seal is extended into the div 2 side, so the seal would be installed on the div 2 side of conduit.

Where seals are required for boundary conditions as defined
in 501.15(A)(4), the Division 1 wiring method shall extend into
the Division 2 area to the seal, which shall be located on the
Division 2 side of the Division 1–Division 2 boundary

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My interpretation is the wiring method and seal is extended into the div 2 side, so the seal would be installed on the div 2 side of conduit.

Where seals are required for boundary conditions as defined
in 501.15(A)(4), the Division 1 wiring method shall extend into
the Division 2 area to the seal, which shall be located on the
Division 2 side of the Division 1–Division 2 boundary
And then another seal on the unclassified side of the Div2/Unclassified boundary.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
The answer to your initial question is, “Yes, a conduit seal is required between a Class I, Division 1 location and a Class I, Division 2 location.” So, where does the “non hazardous area” you mentioned in Post #4 even enter the discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.