Conduit Seals Class 1 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NEC allows use of non-explosionproof seals at the Class 1 Div. 2 boundaries.

Who manufactures these non-explosionproof seals?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Conduit Seals Class 1 Div 2

It's difficult for me to respond to this because I disagree with the fundamental premise that permits it and have written a Proposal to address it.

We also discussed it somewhat at length in this thread.

Having said that, the term identified is also somewhat nebulous as it applies in this case:
Identified (as applied to equipment). Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment, application, and so forth, where described in a particular Code requirement.
FPN: Some examples of ways to determine suitability equipment for a specific purpose, environment, or application include investigations by a qualified testing laboratory (listing and labeling), an inspection agency, or other organizations concerned with product evaluation.
Equipment installed consistent with their ?Listing? or ?Labeling? would certainly be ?Identified,? but that is neither the exclusive nor exhaustive means per the root definition.

The CMP rejected ?FPN: Electrical sealing putty is a method of sealing? ??because there is no assurance that this method will achieve the necessary performance for the seal.? Nevertheless, if it were installed to the specifications of 501.15(C)(2) and (3) it?s difficult to see how it would not be reasonably ?identified.?

Personally, I don?t believe most Div2/Unclassified boundary seals are necessary at all since there are no gasses under "normal" conditions to migrate in the first place; but those that are should be explosionproof.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Conduit Seals Class 1 Div 2

I said "most" aren't necessary. In my opinion the ones that are need to be explosionproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.