conduit support

Status
Not open for further replies.

flip

Is there an article in the code which does not allow support of raceways from mechanical systems such as compressed air piping????

Also from raceway to raceway.

Thanks!@!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: conduit support

For the first part of your question, it is not a good idea to support conduit off of others work for a number of reasons, but not directly prohibited. Many other trades have excessive vibration on their hangers, and steam lines can "walk" (expand and contract) far enough to pull your conduit apart.

For the second part of your question see 300.11(B)

Roger

flip

I agree 100%.

But if I cannot show it to my boss in black and white, we will be installing to airlines.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

physis

From the little bit of industrial I've done I've seen pneumatic lines in copper. How bout 358.12(6).

Edit: unless it's not "practicable" to do it another way.

[ July 18, 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

friebel

I worked for the DuPont company for 45 years and in that time it was a Plant dictate that we do not hang our conduits on process piping, period.
I am not familiar with a Code issue that states that but I must agree that it is not a good practice to start hanging our electrical raceways to process piping.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

process piping tends to require a lot more service than conduit.

I would not be overjoyed if someone hung a lot of conduit off my process lines.

If there is a spec, it is almost always forbidden in the spec.

physis

I wouldn't think you'd get a second job from a company you did that to.

celtic

Considering the job is more than likely bid including supporting your own conduits...I would be a bit ticked off as plant manager (or whomever is the paying customer). Not every plant is the same...some don't care as long it gets done - which usually winds up costing more later on...something this EC may be looking forward to.

As far as a specific article...I couldn't give you one - the norm for me is support your own work, as others support their own work (no shared racks, no raceway-to-raceway supporting, etc)

paul

The only time I've done this is the last 10-20 feet where the supports and process piping feed the same equipment that the electrical conudit has to go to. Then I'll hop on the strut system to avoid clutter and make for a neat installation. Other than that, I try to avoid it at all costs.

flip

I am not bidding this job.
I am a government employee working in our own buildings.
I would never hang from another system if it were left to me.
Unfortunately I do not make these decisions.
Ductwork was also supposed to be hung from the same air piping system.
Fortunately, our safety inspector is researching this and has put a hold on the project.
The whole issue stems on getting a 40' foot manlift to hang our own trapeze.
Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.