Conduit thru cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Other than 110.3(B) or 110.12, can someone provide an Article that prohibits a condiit from being routed into a panel thru the cover.
(Panel is flush in a brick wall. E/C elected to notch the cover and enter the panel via an LB with conduit routed on the surface of the brick. He did bond the conduit)

eHunter

Other than 110.3(B) or 110.12, can someone provide an Article that prohibits a condiit from being routed into a panel thru the cover.
(Panel is flush in a brick wall. E/C elected to notch the cover and enter the panel via an LB with conduit routed on the surface of the brick. He did bond the conduit)

My bent curiosity is hoping you have pictures...

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

WHAT, no picture???????????? That sounds AWESOME!!!! :lol:

Volta

I'd go with 300.10:
NEC said:
300.10 Electrical Continuity of Metal Raceways and
Enclosures. Metal raceways, cable armor, and other metal
enclosures for conductors shall be metallically joined together
into a continuous electrical conductor and shall be
connected to all boxes, fittings, and cabinets so as to provide
effective electrical continuity. Unless specifically permitted
elsewhere in this Code, raceways and cable assemblies
shall be mechanically secured to boxes, fittings,
cabinets, and other enclosures.
I feel that 300.12 intends to prohibit it, given the wording of exception #2, although for a strict reading it does sound like the raceway is continuous between the enclosures....

NEC said:
300.12 Mechanical Continuity ? Raceways and Cables.
Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable
sheaths shall be continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings,
or other enclosures or outlets.
Exception No. 1: Short sections of raceways used to provide
support or protection of cable assemblies from physical
damage shall not be required to be mechanically
continuous.
Exception No. 2: Raceways and cables installed into the
bottom of open bottom equipment, such as switchboards,
motor control centers, and floor or pad-mounted transformers,
shall not be required to be mechanically secured to the
equipment.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Volta,
I'd say that's my best reference.
My first thought was continuous raceways but I recalled the method mentioned in Exception 2 and did n;t realize it was an exception. Thanks all.
(This was a via phone question., I'll try to get a pic when I'm on site).

kwired

Electron manager
I'd go with 300.10:

I feel that 300.12 intends to prohibit it, given the wording of exception #2, although for a strict reading it does sound like the raceway is continuous between the enclosures....

Isn't it possible to secure it somehow behind the cover? Pretty likely it wasn't done but is possible. What about raceways that enter an "open bottom" switchgear or similar?

Volta

Isn't it possible to secure it somehow behind the cover? Pretty likely it wasn't done but is possible. What about raceways that enter an "open bottom" switchgear or similar?

If you are asking about my reason for referencing the "open bottom" exception, well, I'm assuming the intent is to have the raceways complete not only between the enclosures, but also into them. The raceway from the OP entering may well be compliant between, but most of us would fault it as it goes into.

I feel that interpretation is supported by the wording of exception #2, as there they allow raceways to enter the bottom without being mechanically secured, but as an exception.

However, as written, one could also argue that once the raceway passes the exterior of the enclosure, it is no longer covered by 300.12 at all, as it is no longer between.

But truly, they are being sloppy within 300.12, referencing "mechanically secured" in the exception, but using "continuous between" in the positive language of the section.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are asking about my reason for referencing the "open bottom" exception, well, I'm assuming the intent is to have the raceways complete not only between the enclosures, but also into them. The raceway from the OP entering may well be compliant between, but most of us would fault it as it goes into.

I feel that interpretation is supported by the wording of exception #2, as there they allow raceways to enter the bottom without being mechanically secured, but as an exception.

However, as written, one could also argue that once the raceway passes the exterior of the enclosure, it is no longer covered by 300.12 at all, as it is no longer between.

But truly, they are being sloppy within 300.12, referencing "mechanically secured" in the exception, but using "continuous between" in the positive language of the section.

I think I could fabricate something to secure the raceway in question in the OP to the cabinet. Many would balk at whether or not it meets code, but if it is secured to the cabinet please tell me what the violation may be other than you don't like what it looks like. I don't know if the install in the OP is secured or not and am not trying to defend that installation specifically, but I am trying to say it could be possible to do something very similar to what was described there if you paid enough attention to details.

Volta

I think I could fabricate something to secure the raceway in question in the OP to the cabinet. Many would balk at whether or not it meets code, but if it is secured to the cabinet please tell me what the violation may be other than you don't like what it looks like. I don't know if the install in the OP is secured or not and am not trying to defend that installation specifically, but I am trying to say it could be possible to do something very similar to what was described there if you paid enough attention to details.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.