Conduit/THWN wires cut underground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know might be tough to explain in a forum but just curious before having an experienced guy help me... Landacapers cut a conduit and some then wires while digging out a tree to move.

Long story short, what is the best way to resplice these now? How do I trace out and make sure the Brown, blue and whites match up to the other side??

2 Brown
2 Blue
2 White
1 Red
1 Green

Nobody knew what it does. Assuming pool stuff. None were live when I got there.

Thanks Guys

L8FM5WFh.jpg

kAXdhuoh.jpg

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Find where the conduit comes up at both ends. See what colors are hooked to what. Make repairs. Done.

PhenixFord

Occupation
Industrial Systems and Controls
As usual, the best alternative would be to repair the conduit and re-pull the wiring. You could install two ground box's and run new conduit between them. Or, it may be possible to add a couple of lights with the ground box's (depending on what the circuit is doing). Personally, I've never had good luck with ground splices. Adding a little squirt of silicone to the wire nuts sometimes helps.

If you find out what the circuit is actually doing, splicing would be easier.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As usual, the best alternative would be to repair the conduit and re-pull the wiring. You could install two ground box's and run new conduit between them. Or, it may be possible to add a couple of lights with the ground box's (depending on what the circuit is doing). Personally, I've never had good luck with ground splices. Adding a little squirt of silicone to the wire nuts sometimes helps.

If you find out what the circuit is actually doing, the colors will be explained. If you just splice the conductors in the middle, I would assume that the conductors were unbroken. Therefore, the splice would be color-for-color.
But there are two each of several colors....

My total SWAG would be that there are control wired for irrigation/sprinklers.

Right. Not just a matter of splice and be done. What if they are 2 separate circuits. Or do some irrigation or pool lighting.

Would it matter if I tie a blue#1 to the blue #2 on other side? I cant figure that out right now.

Running new lines is 1 option but it's about a 100 foot run from pool house where I assume they go and house where I assume they start from.

I'm hoping to trace out 1 side. Trace out the other side and go from there.

Thanks for the quick replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I would have an electrician reroute the conduit to bypass that tree/shrub. Eventually some more digging will be done in that area.

I would have an electrician reroute the conduit to bypass that tree/shrub. Eventually some more digging will be done in that area.

They are actually moving that tree. Conduit went through the root ball and they needed it out of the way. Before they backfill a new conduit will be reinstalled but Just trying to figure out how to properly make the "doubles" color splice. What a pain this might end up being

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It would be good if whatever the wires are connected to is marked, such as CR1, CR2, etc. Then you could take an Ohm meter set for continuity and check each wire where they are cut, against where they originate/terminate at. Might have to twist together a blue and brown wire (for example) and check for continuity. My point is you have to have something in common to check Then mark the wires. Go to the other set of cut wires and do the same back the other way. Maybe they aren't marked but might be obvious what they connect to. In that case just mark them how you want and match them at the splices.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Usually irrigation is direct burial, not in conduit. But who knows.

What a pain this might end up being

You are going to have to find one end of this to see what it's for and how those wires are connected. Why is that a problem?

-Hal

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
How are you going to be able to access the splices underground?
??
How do you access any splice underground?
dig em back up...

if they are done correctly there shouldn’t ever be a need to access them again...

BTW, I use aqua seal on mine. That stuff is awesome.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You must access the ends of the runs for several reasons:

1. To make sure the power source is turned off for safe handling.

2. To make sure the ends haven't been torn from their terminations.

3. To see whether the duplicate-colored wires are interchangeable.

In my opinion, the correct repair is to pull the wires, repair the conduit, and pull new wires.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Life is full of what should I do moments.

I agree you should run new wires and not fix what you have, and it will probably save on time as tracing down what wires go where will take some time to do.

Is it low-voltage wire?

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Life is full of what should I do moments.

I agree you should run new wires and not fix what you have, and it will probably save on time as tracing down what wires go where will take some time to do.

Is it low-voltage wire?

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”
How is running new wires going to tell you where they go anymore than tracing and splicing them?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
??
How do you access any splice underground?
dig em back up...

if they are done correctly there shouldn’t ever be a need to access them again...

BTW, I use aqua seal on mine. That stuff is awesome.
Doesn't the code require splices to be in a box and readily accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.