Conduit to LB

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If your running 3/4" EMT w/ compression fitting what do you use to terminate the conduit into an LB?
A threaded LB with a compression connector. I know it's been beaten to death but it's a technical violation due to the straight threads on the connector. Having said that no one really cares. They do make compression LB's for wet locations.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
A threaded LB with a compression connector. I know it's been beaten to death but it's a technical violation due to the straight threads on the connector. Having said that no one really cares. They do make compression LB's for wet locations.
I know I said compression fitting. Some LB's have a set screw correct? That would not able to be used of using compression fittings correct?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
@Alwayslearningelec

In the long distant past they made set screw LBs for use with EMT without any threads in the LB body and they made threaded LBs with no set screws.

They probably still make them that way.

But in the past, I don't know 20-30 years most supply houses and big box stores stock LBs with threaded hubs and set screws so they can be used either way. Why stock two items when one will do??

If you connect with set screws to the EMT this is for dry locations only. To use in a damp or wet location you would use WT compression connectors into the threads of the LB

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If your running 3/4" EMT w/ compression fitting what do you use to terminate the conduit into an LB?
I think some of the responses so far have assumed that your statement "EMT w/ compression fitting" means your jobs specs or other conditions (wet location?) prohibit you from putting the EMT directly into an LB with setscrew connections, as that would not be a compression connection to the EMT. But if you are not so prohibited, that is the simplest solution.

If you are so prohibited, then you'd need an LB with a threaded entry, into which you can put a compression EMT connector. Or if you want to get fancy, you could get an EMT to NPT male adapter, e.g. "Mighty-Merge® Raintight EMT to NPT Hub Connector 3/4"

Cheers, Wayne

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So if your using EMT with set screw for the job you would still us a compression connector for the LB because it's threaded inside?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So if your using EMT with set screw for the job you would still us a compression connector for the LB because it's threaded inside?
I don't understand your question. Metal LBs are available with setscrew connections for EMT only, compression connections for EMT only, threaded connections for RMC, or combination threads and set-screws.

Cheers, Wayne

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
@Alwayslearningelec

LBs can be bought with compression connectors built in as part of the LB usually used for wet locations usually. LBs with set screws only are used in dry locations. The "combo" LBs have set screws so you just shove the EMT in and tighten the screws for dry locations and they also have threads so you can screw in a compression connector for a wet location