condulet sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it legal to install a 1" "c" condulet onto a 3/4" rigid conduit and come out of the other end with a 1/2" raceway? As far as what I have come up with you can as long as you dont over fill on your conduit. Also I found a 2" rigid conduit that had a coupling with a reducing bushing that reduced it down to 1-1/2" rigid conduit. That doesnt seem to be a legal transition to me but i am unable to find anything in the code about it. Thanks again fellas.

jetlag

Thanks. Anything on reducing a conduit size in middle of run?

be hard to do with electrical fittings , maybe go to a threaded adapter then threaded coupling and insert a threaded reducer bushing and then the other size adapter, plumbing fittings not allowed and electrical threaded bushings not that much available..

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
electrical threaded bushings not that much available..

They are here but aren't cheap. I use them in a pinch. Let say space is tight and I have four 500's and a 3 in a 3" EMT. Legally fits in the EMT but now read the inside of a 3" LB. It say will say something like "Max fill 3 #500MCM." Not very convient for 3? wiring. So I may use two 4" to 3" reducing bushings and a 4" LB. See below for my prefered wiring method for the above senceniro as it is less expensive and an easier install.

DSCN0516.jpg

jetlag

They are here but aren't cheap. I use them in a pinch. Let say space is tight and I have four 500's and a 3 in a 3" EMT. Legally fits in the EMT but now read the inside of a 3" LB. It say will say something like "Max fill 3 #500MCM." Not very convient for 3? wiring. So I may use two 4" to 3" reducing bushings and a 4" LB. See below for my prefered wiring method for the above senceniro as it is less expensive and an easier install.

DSCN0516.jpg

Nice photo , I run into that to , it seems they woud make the conduit body to hold what the size conduit would hold in thnn conductors. A 3 inch emt holds 5 #500 , I think the conduit body should match more closely. I guess people would cry about the oversize when they didnt need it , I got it ,they should have 2 sizes reg. and large for max conduit fill . They have plenty of bushings at supply house , big blue not so much .

Status
Not open for further replies.