Confirm Wiring and LED Driver Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPTESE

Occupation
Gaffer
Hello, I desire to power (4) 300W LED COBs simultaneously via a single 120v AC plug. Each COB has their own 300W driver. The driver is AC input and DC output. It is a constant current driver.

Here's the spec sheet of the driver. I assume I would be using the H-AB, which provides a DC voltage range of 29-58v, and 3-in-1 dimming which is another part of this. https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/HBGC-300/HBGC-300-H-AB.pdf

Here's the spec sheet of the COB: https://download.luminus.com/datasheets/Luminus_CVM-GEN4_Datasheet.pdf

Here's a crude drawing.
attachment.php

1) What are your thoughts on compatibility between the LED COB and LED Driver? Seems like a good match to me, I just don't want any chance of frying the LED so would like some other eyes to confirm. Similarly, are there any precautions or additions one should make to prevent overload in any way?

2) Please let me know your thoughts on the wiring? Some might question a 10amp draw like this, and the addition of a plug, but it is very normal for my specific application.

3) I plan on implementing dimming, but need to ensure flicker-free for camera application up to 2,000FPS. I imagine I can go the PWM dimming route via the driver, but will have to test it. Other than just a potentiometer/analog, what is an efficient way to dim the LEDs and ensure flicker-free application? I understand if this means adding an additional component vs utilizing the driver's internal dimming functionalities.

Thank you very much!

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The LED has a rated voltage range of 51-58V when driven at 5A. The driver you are considering has an output of 5.6A, and a max output voltage of 58V. This means that the LED _may_ require higher voltage than the driver can provide.

Efficient dimming requires changing the driver output current. This depends on the driver's internal construction. PWM dimming can either adjust the _smooth_ output current (no flicker) or it can cause the output to pulse (lots of flicker)

-Jon

MPTESE

Occupation
Gaffer
Hi Jon, thank for the reply.

Are you suggesting that the Driver and COB are not a good fit? Is there a way to ensure the LEDs are capped at 5AMPS, to limit the voltage requirements of the LED?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Your LEDs are designed for a nominal 5A. The driver is designed for a nominal 5.6A. If you can design your 'dimming circuit' so that it limits to 89% then it could work.

-Jon

MPTESE

Occupation
Gaffer
The driver has a built in pot that I believe can be adjusted manually via a screwdriver. In effect, couldn't I lower the pot to adjust to 5AMPs as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.