Conflicting and convoluted manufacturer's instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparksy93

Occupation
Electrical technician
Purchased a 5000w heater for my garage, in the manual as I try to match what manufacturers want done, I get conflicting and confusing requirements in my opinion, one says appliance must be connected to current protection device at 32-40 amps. Another portion says use 10 ga wire.
Yet another section says use wires suitable for 75* Celsius, yet shows a little image of 10/2 Romex going into unit, are the manufacturers on crack or am I overthinking it I was originally going to pull 10/2 Romex, and land on a 30 amp breaker as 5000 watts at 240 volts is 20.9 amps last time I checked. Any tips or things I’m missing about this? Seems like they had a vague grasp of the NEC but have put conflicting demands on their instructions.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I'd put an ohmmeter on the element(s) to assure that it's not a 208-volt unit, and double-check the nameplate on the fan motor. (if there is one)
A 30-amp breaker assures that the 10-gauge wire is adequately protected.
If the 32 minimum circuit apmacity is genuine -- and not the result of the instructions being written where 16- and 32-amp circuits are common -- the worst you might be risking is nuisance trips.

paulengr

Does it have a blower or pure resistance? If so the breaker size is adjusted for the motor inrush. Plus that’s a motor load so size ampacity for 125%, so #12 is just barely too small. Heater rules are kind of strange anyway. Look at Article 440. If you thought 430 was goofy you haven’t seen anything yet.

Sparksy93

Occupation
Electrical technician
It has a blower motor, I appreciate the insights. Some of your responses conflict though so I expect some duking it out with a definitive winner lol

Sparksy93

Occupation
Electrical technician
Plus it’s thermally protected? Could I theoretically run 8/2 to it on a 40 amp breaker and know that it would shut itself off before tripping breaker/ burning up?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
32A is a standard breaker size everywhere else in the world EXCEPT North America. It is their equivalent of a 30A circuit corresponding to their metric wire sizing. They converted their 6.0mm2 metric wire size to #10 for us, but failed to understand that we don't have 32A breakers, we have 30A.

Use a 30A, quit fretting about it.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Nice. Alrighty then that explains it then. Wasn’t aware of such breaker sizes like 32 lol
Much of the industrial world follows a "standard" sequence ... 10, 12, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80 and 100 in sizes. Obviously (?) that sequence can be continued up and down. I think of it as DIN based.

Sparksy93

Occupation
Electrical technician
Much of the industrial world follows a "standard" sequence ... 10, 12, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80 and 100 in sizes. Obviously (?) that sequence can be continued up and down. I think of it as DIN based.
I’ll be honest this is speaking above my understanding, the only DIN I know is DIN rail for mounting different transformers or terminals lol

Status
Not open for further replies.