Confused about breaker size - round up or round down?

CanadaCanuck

Occupation
GC
Electric air handler with auxiliary heat strip being installed in Canada.
Motor FLA 2.1 amps
Heat strip (8kW) 33.3 amps
The unit has a built-in double pole 45 amp breaker which serves as the termination point for the supply line
The manual states that the maximum amperage of the breaker in the supply panel is 45 amps (but this is not printed on the nameplate)

They do not make a Schneider Homeline 45 amp breaker in Canada.

If I round up to 50 amps, then I am ignoring the instructions in the equipment manual.
If I found down to 40 amps, then I am running a breaker at 88.5% continuous load which exceeds the 80% continuous loading.

Which way do I go?

From a safety and logic standpoint, I like the idea of using a 50 amp breaker and 6/2 wire. I'm fully protecting the wire, shouldn't get nuisance trips, and I'm not exceeding 80% continuous loading on my breaker. The equipment itself is protected with its internal 45 amp breaker. However, I get uneasy about ignoring the clealry stated requirement in the manual.

The other option is to run a 50 amp breaker in the panel to a disconnect with a 45 amp breaker but that seems silly.

CanadaCanuck

Occupation
GC
What is the MCA on the nameplate? Can you post a photo?

Welcome to the Forum.
I've been going off the installation manual and racking my head at how to make the numbers work. To respond to your post I went to take a picture of the nameplate and it has different information. It says that I can use a 50 amp breaker. Problem solved. Thank you!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I would go with your 50a plan.

As Rob asked, what are the MCA and the MOC?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've been going off the installation manual and racking my head at how to make the numbers work. To respond to your post I went to take a picture of the nameplate and it has different information. It says that I can use a 50 amp breaker. Problem solved. Thank you!
It happens. Instruction manuals for equipment often contains incorrect information.