confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryin

what exactly is it that they are asking me, this is a test question that is killing me.

A 120/208V WYE connection for a 800 AMP inductive lighting load with a 200 amp 208V 3phase hermetic refrigerant compressor

the grounded conductor ampacity is?

Now, what I have been doing is GUESSING that if the code requires the minimum amps to be no less than the largest size service conductor, then it would stand to reason that 800 is the answer.But as you can see, thats not an option. Please point me in the right direction, I honestlt do not know what they are asking me.

tryin

I think I'm confused ocver what they are asking for. I have to know, for my own benefit,what the hell the answer is. Do you combine them for a total of 1000 or is it more complex because of the compressor motor

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The answer is 620 amps.

First, disregard the 3-phase load, since it will not have any unbalanced current flowing in its (non-existent) ungrounded wire. Next, take 100% of the first 200 amps from the 800 amp lighting load, and add in 70% of the remaining 600 amps. 200 + 0.7*600 = 620.

Reference: 220.61(B).

tryin

Thanks, Charlie B

Thanks, Charlie B

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
The three phase load was confusing me big time.

crossman

charlie b said:
The answer is 620 amps.

First, disregard the 3-phase load, since it will not have any unbalanced current flowing in its (non-existent) ungrounded wire. Next, take 100% of the first 200 amps from the 800 amp lighting load, and add in 70% of the remaining 600 amps. 200 + 0.7*600 = 620.

Reference: 220.61(B).

What if all the lighting load is 208 volts?

glene77is

Please elaborate on how you derive these numbers from 260.61(B).

I understand that the 3 phase motor will not have return neutral currents.

Given the Inductive Lighting requires 800A.
I do not understand why you use 100% of the first 200A,
then add 70% (which I think is a demand factor) on the remaining 600A.

wasasparky

crossman said:
Darn it, Charlie, where did you run off to?

What would the answer be if all the lighting was 208 volt luminaires?

All the lighting is 208V.
22.61(B)2 70% for " all unbalanced load in excess of 200A..."

glene77is

Charle B,
I found out whats happening, by re-reading the NEC section.
I was looking from a Physics perspective, not a NEC perspective.
Thanks anyway. Makes me think.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
crossman said:
Darn it, Charlie, where did you run off to?
Shucks, can't a guy get in a half hour or so of work for the company without anyone complainin' about being absent from the forum? :-? :cool:
crossman said:
What would the answer be if all the lighting was 208 volt luminaires?
I see that someone stepped in during my absence with the simple and correct answer: you don't even pull a neutral wire in that case, so you need not calculate a load, and need not verify that its ampacity exceeds the load. :wink:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
charlie b said:
Shucks, can't a guy get in a half hour or so of work for the company without anyone complainin' about being absent from the forum? :-? :cool:
Absolutely not! Where are your priorities, man? The forum comes first! ;)

crossman

charlie b said:
I see that someone stepped in during my absence with the simple and correct answer: you don't even pull a neutral wire in that case, so you need not calculate a load, and need not verify that its ampacity exceeds the load. :wink:

The OP's commentary after the question indicates this is a service. If so, we would have to pull a grounded conductor form the neutral point of the utility to the main disconnect, even though there is no neutral load at all. It may not need to have an ampacity of 620 amps.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
LarryFine said:
Absolutely not! Where are your priorities, man? The forum comes first! ;)
I might consider saying something unkind in reply to this statement, but I would not want to surpass you as the forum's most censored member. ;) :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
charlie b said:
I might consider saying something unkind in reply to this statement, but I would not want to surpass you as the forum's most censored member. ;) :grin:
Oh, don't let that stop you. Give it your best shot. Besides, I think I earned my nickname on quantity, not quality. :grin:

It makes me wonder, though: Who moderates the moderators? We've always heard that the inmates run the asylum. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.