Connecticut requirements for out-of-state contractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

If you want, I can give my statement as I saw your Auntie doing the work. Just snap a photo of the screwdriver in Auntie's hands if they ask for the next document. In Ct they're used to it.

I am in CT, and I will tell you - some towns are very strict with what kind of work they can issue a home owner permit for. A branch circuit extension - maybe, a kitchen reno - perhaps, but when you are talking about a whole-house genny with an ATS or a service upgrade (for example), they require that a licensed contractor with a CT license pulls the permit.
Do local governments have the authority to decide which HO's can get a permit and for what?

I'm talking about both a gen/ATS and an upgrade. The question is what do I need to do to qualify?

I'm trying to see if I can save her money, despite my costs, as well as give her a top-quality installation.
Your answer will depend on the town, and, frankly, the mood that the local building department guy (or gal) is in on that particular day.
I would say, go to the Building Dept in whichever the town it is, bring a "box of coffee" and donuts from the local donut shop to butter them up, and ask flat-out if they would let you pull your own permit with an out-of-state license.
Because, If a home owner comes there asking to apply for something that involves a whole-house genny and an ATS, there is a very good chance that the clerk at the counter or the inspector will know that someone else other than the home owner is doing that work, and they don't like that, as you might imagine.

Do local governments have the authority to decide which HO's can get a permit and for what?
Which HO's - no, they can't discriminate like that, but for what - I could never get a straight answer out of any town's building department, so it seems a subjective decision on a case-by-case basis. Honestly, the kind of work that HO's do around here, I am surprised they are still allowed to pull permits.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would say, go to the Building Dept in whichever the town it is, bring a "box of coffee" and donuts from the local donut shop to butter them up, and ask flat-out if they would let you pull your own permit with an out-of-state license.
Since it's a seven-hour drive each way, I'm hoping to find out by phone instead.

As I said, she lives in Newington. I;m trying to find the correct government entity.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Can you get a local to "lend" you one of his guys to be on site (for a fee, of course)? I won't comment on who might actually be doing the work, but that put's a CT license on the permit application.

__dan

I don't think you'll get any trouble. The licensing violation is enforced by DCP, not having the license. The town would have to turn you over to DCP. I don't see that happening. Licensing is 20's in the CGS. I had a hard time getting DCP on the phone last time I tried. Their email reporting system I would guess is more than two years behind. Pretty sure I've filed old stuff that is still in the hopper.

The town enforces building codes adopted in CGS 29-252. 29's are the Public Safety statutes. If the town gives you trouble their jurisdiction is the NEC. It is a permit required job but "any person" may pull the permit in Ct. Who does the work, is where you need the HO exception to the licensing statutes. No license needed to pull the permit.

The HO permit with the nephew doing the work, I would guess that's one of the existing conventions that the town (should view as legit or more legit than all their other troubles).

The town will show no sympathy over trying to qualify with an out of state license, but enforcement for that is DCP, who does not return phone calls. The family member who also has a license from another state should get some town sympathy, but if you tell the town you're doing the work, they could tell you it's a violation (enforced by DCP which is not going to happen).

Have the aunt deal with the town and you deal with Eversource, should be no problem.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is DCP?

What will Eversource look for before doing there part and re-energizing?

Can I bring my own new 200a meter base?

Does Eversource do the line side of the meter work free like here in VA?

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dept of consumer protection
portal.ct.gov/dep
Probably nothing
Yes if approved by Eversource
Yes if line work is required but you might not need it if the lateral is not old

Status
Not open for further replies.