connecting 2- 2pole Br style breakers together.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Any one know were if possible I can get a handle tie that can connect 2-2pole br bolt on breakers together. I forgot to order a main breaker in it and it's going to cost 2k each and I am hoping to find a handle tie to turn it into a 4 pole. so I can keep under my 6 disconnect rule.

HELP

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
ya I called eaton, the lady said well its for 4 single pole breakers not 2- 2pole. I was like EEEE okay.
plat says same thing in there description ql4ht
for that price I may just say screw it and try it to save 4k
thank you

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What article are you trying to comply with? I'm not looking at any of the 6 disconnect articles now but believe they state 6 breakers. A 2 or 3 pole breaker would be a single breaker. You can install field handle ties but I think its limited to single pole breakers.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
What article are you trying to comply with? I'm not looking at any of the 6 disconnect articles now but believe they state 6 breakers. A 2 or 3 pole breaker would be a single breaker. You can install field handle ties but I think its limited to single pole breakers.
I would argue that one. it's supposed to be for emergency issue, so you can turn them off quick. If 6 single vs 6 large handle tied breakers I would say the larger are easier to turn off since you have more coverage, but hey what do I know, not much since I forgot to order the main breaker. I wonder. how it passed the first time. I just got an identical replacement panel.

When did the 6 breaker rule come into effect. maybe I can get grandfathered in

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When did the 6 breaker rule come into effect. maybe I can get grandfathered in
It's been ages. Back when I was a helper, they used the "six throws of the hand" terminology.

That was back when we had 110/220v and a 190v high-leg. "Before they changed the water."

I would think that a 4p handle tie would fit two 2p breakers with their handle-ties removed.

Keep in mind that one 2p breaker tripping could turn off the other one.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
It's been ages. Back when I was a helper, they used the "six throws of the hand" terminology.

That was back when we had 110/220v and a 190v high-leg. "Before they changed the water."

I would think that a 4p handle tie would fit two 2p breakers with their handle-ties removed.

Keep in mind that one 2p breaker tripping could turn off the other one.
ya I get the tripping of the breakers. this was installed in the 90s so it should of been correct at start. the main breakers about 100 feet from site of the load center but that really does not matter lol.
I got a call to him. hopefully those handle ties fit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I found one for 4 single pole but not 2-2poles

I got a call to him. hopefully those handle ties fit.
If they're the same brand, they should fit as well as factory-installed handle-ties.

Multi-pole breakers are conjoined 1p units plus the internal common-trip pieces.