Connecting conductors to receptacles

Kooch

New User
Occupation
Electrical Contractor/Master Electrician
I am getting old! (been a master since 1987 but mostly retired since 2004) I've been teaching high school students a basic practical electricity class. About half the semester is focused on the NEC and the other will be on replacing devices, adding a receptacle, hanging fixtures, etc. Just enough to see if there is interest in pursuing a career in the electrical field and possibly establishing an actual curriculum at this particular school.
To the point... I have looked for hours and can't seem to find the code reference for hooking the wires clockwise around the screw terminals. I don't think the Code actually says that but I recall that it does say something about it. Any help for an old-timer?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
At one time the handbook had an illustration showing what you're asking about in 110.14

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
At one time the handbook had an illustration showing what you're asking about in 110.14
My handbook shows it, but no code reference for it.

IMO, with solid wire, it doesn't make much difference.
Although, I always wrap the solid conductor clockwise. With stranded, if you wrap it counter clockwise, it will cause the strands to squeeze out when tightening the screw.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I never checked, so I did, result.

On levitons site. The instructions are as follows. So yes you have to go clockwise at least with leviton. UL 498 : File E13399
1727196249073.png

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
In the NEC 2011 Handbook you have "Mandatory Code" text in black and "Commentary" in overprinted with a color tint. Exhibits' 110.3 is the correct way & 110.4 is the incorrect method of terminating wire-binding screw terminals at receptacles and snap switches. Courtesy of Underwriters Laboratories.