Connecting Flush Mounted Panel to Surface Mounted Transfer Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

As the title says, I need to re-feed a flush mounted panel from a surface mounted transfer switch in a drywalled residential garage, but I want it to look nice if I could. Not sure if the framing is 2x4 or 2x6, but even if it's 2x6 I don't think I could make such a tight bend into the back of the transfer switch with 2/0 cu SER, certainly not with 4/0 al SER. Perhaps I could use a trough but I'd still need to make a tight 90 in the cable when exiting the back of the trough. Any ideas?

Martin B

Im assuming the panel in the garage is a subpanel. Does the Transfer Swich need to be rite next the the panel?

Sent from my LGUS610 using Tapatalk

Martin B

Is there an attic above the garage? If so the panel feed may be routed through the attic. You could reroute the garage panel feed down to the transfer switch and then back up into the attic to reconnect to the garage panel feeder via a surface mounted conduit out of the top of the transfer switch. You would have to install a splice box in the attic. That might not look to bad.

Sent from my LGUS610 using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
To re-feed a panel you have to intercept the existing supply. How is it run? Is the entry top, bottom, side, or back?

mark32

Thanks for the replies,

To answer in order:

Martin: Correct, the main panel will become a sub panel. I want to have the transfer switch next to the panel to limit the amount of service cable coming into the dwelling from the meter. I really like your idea about running a cable (Sleeved) up the wall, into the ceiling and back down in the wall to the soon-to-be sub, thanks!

Smart: The panel is currently being fed from the bottom, the meter is directly behind the panel, just a bit lower.

Stebs

Is transfer switch rated for outdoors? Why not mount it next to meter with a nipple and run your feeds in and out of the meter can?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is transfer switch rated for outdoors? Why not mount it next to meter with a nipple and run your feeds in and out of the meter can?
Outside is at least one more option, but I have a sneaking suspicion that POCOs will not let you run a feeder through the meter can.

publicgood

Martin: Correct, the main panel will become a sub panel. I want to have the transfer switch next to the panel to limit the amount of service cable coming into the dwelling from the meter. I really like your idea about running a cable (Sleeved) up the wall, into the ceiling and back down in the wall to the soon-to-be sub, thanks!

Is the transfer switch service entrance rated?

kwired

Electron manager
For any flush panel I need to get a surface run raceway into I have found the best method (especially if it is larger then 3/4") is to install a junction/pull box that is "semi-recessed". You need at least a 6 inch deep box, maybe deeper if large enough raceway is involved, set the back of box deep enough into wall to nipple to the panel, and front of box extends out the wall far enough for surface raceways to enter the box. This may take some carpenter skills or to hire someone with them to make it look nice when finished. Other raceway or cable entries into the panel can complicate how easily this is done, some may have to pass through the junction box.

mark32

Thanks guys,

Stebs and Publicgood, I haven't placed the order yet for the generator and transfer switch, so I still have the option of getting an indoor or outdoor TS and indeed it would be service rated. By the way Stebs, thanks for the outdoor suggestion. Initially I gave it thought but I passed on it, not sure why, haven't been there in a month, I'll revisit that option though.

kwired

"For any flush panel I need to get a surface run raceway into I have found the best method (especially if it is larger then 3/4") is to install a junction/pull box that is "semi-recessed". You need at least a 6 inch deep box, maybe deeper if large enough raceway is involved, set the back of box deep enough into wall to nipple to the panel, and front of box extends out the wall far enough for surface raceways to enter the box. This may take some carpenter skills or to hire someone with them to make it look nice when finished. Other raceway or cable entries into the panel can complicate how easily this is done, some may have to pass through the junction box."

That's an awesome idea! I think I'm pretty crafty and creative, but I don't think I would have come up with that one, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.