Connecting to water line underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim89s

I am installing a new service and while digging for a vault we came across the main water line for the building. The water line is copper and is about 4' deep and the area that is exposed is about 100' from the meter. Can I attach to the water line underground with an approved clamp and use it as my Grounding Electrode Conductor? The code states you have to attach to the water line within 5' of where it enters the building but makes no mention of attaching to the water line before it enters the building.

Thanks
Tim

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am not sure i understand your question. I assume you cannot attach where the pipe is exposed and within 5' feet of entering the building. If the pipe travels 30 feet under the building in earth and then pops up you connect there as that is where it enters. If there is a crawl space you connect there. I have seen instances where you need to connect in the ground. Install a hand hole I suppose over the area with the clamp for inspection. 4' down I don't see how you can service it.

tim89s

The location of the water line where I would like to attach would be in the parking lot. Does the point where GEC attaches to the water pipe need to be accessible? If so, why do they make water pipe clamps approved for direct burial? Any code sections would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing prohibits bonding to this line that I know of.

But this is also a separate structure and a GEC would still need to attach to the water line within/at the building.

tim89s

Unless your "vault" is inside the building, you have two separate structures.

I am sorry, I was unclear when I mentioned the vault. The vault is a utility transformer vault. I have a open trench from the utility vault to the location of the new exterior service. It just so happens that we encountered the main water line while digging the trench and for the utility vault. I just thought it would be great if I could tie the water line at that point because I already have an open trench.

kwired

Electron manager
I am sorry, I was unclear when I mentioned the vault. The vault is a utility transformer vault. I have a open trench from the utility vault to the location of the new exterior service. It just so happens that we encountered the main water line while digging the trench and for the utility vault. I just thought it would be great if I could tie the water line at that point because I already have an open trench.

I see nothing wrong with that, but you must land the GEC at the building service. If you land it at the transformer the building will still need a GEC to the water line - if it is a metallic line when it reaches the building anyway.

tim89s

I see nothing wrong with that, but you must land the GEC at the building service. If you land it at the transformer the building will still need a GEC to the water line - if it is a metallic line when it reaches the building anyway.

Yes, I will land the GEC at the new service. We do not land anything at the PUD transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.