Considering Career change, interested in electrical. A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyotter

New User
A little background info: 25 years old. Graduated from a University with a Hospitality Management degree. Been asst. managing a hotel for a year now and starting to think the hotel industry isn't the career path I want to take . It's a career that doesn't fit my personality type with too many intangibles, whereas, I am someone who wants and needs defined tasks and jobs to complete. I don't really know much about electrical, but I have replaced outlets and hung light fixtures in my house...which I really enjoyed and had fun doing. I would like to learn more about electrical to see if it is something that I may seriously want to pursue.

How should I go about this?

I obviously am not just gonna quit a decent enough job and dive face first into electrical. I'm thinking I need a good book(any recs?), a couple night classes, and a little work around my house to see if it's something I want to do.

Any advice for me?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, you are not going to get the feel of the job without doing the work. Perhaps you can find someone who has some weekend work that wuld be willing to hire you. Get in the field and definitely don't quit your other job till you get a good feel for what it is like

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Do you like to work with your hands?
Do you like being cold? Hot? Dirty?
Do you like confined spaces?
Do you like heights?

Would you rather design?

Maybe you could visit a jobsite and watch.

stevenje

IMO, you are not going to get the feel of the job without doing the work. Perhaps you can find someone who has some weekend work that wuld be willing to hire you. Get in the field and definitely don't quit your other job till you get a good feel for what it is like

Dennis is right. The only way to find out it electrical work is your cup of tea, is to try it. Depending on where you are located there maybe some part time work available. Do you work M-F at your current job? Maybe you can change up your schedule and get a couple of weekdays to try out the electrical game. You will have to invest in some hand tools. Don't buy any until you find some work and then get advise on what you should buy from the guys you work with. Be willing to work "for peanuts" just to get a chance to get on a job. Being an electrician isn't for everybody. It can be physically demanding and dangerous.

Many years ago we had a brand new apprentice show up on our job site. He was tired of driving a delivery truck for a living and decided to try out the electrical industry. They put him on a lift with a J-man installing a rack of conduit in a seven story concrete parking garage in the dead of winter. One cold SOB of a job. We all froze for weeks. He lasted until noon. His last words were, "You guys are nuts!"

Good luck in your new endeavor.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
One of the most informed experiences published about working in the electrical-construction industry is at the Demoderated Zone

__dan

Banned
One of the most informed experiences published about working in the electrical-construction industry is at the Demoderated Zone

Thanks Roger, nice read. The Stratton Oakmont case you cited was made into a currently playing movie, 'Wolf of Wall Street".

Cannot say more. I'm waiting to see the results of my very well cited 25 page complaint filed publicly with the proper authorities.

There are some very highly skilled specialized niches in electrical that I would recommend as a career when asked, but general electrical warm body trade labor is not one of them.

To the OP, you may be well positioned to move up or sideways into facility engineering, planning, and facility supervisory management. If you like the buildings better than the customers.

__dan

Banned
Sales talent

Took the tip and I've been looking at the Youtube videos for Jordan Belfort who ran Stratton Oakmont, a huge penny stock boiler room. It was his story that was made into the film "Wolf of Wall Street". The tip was to watch his sales training videos. Good tip, there's insight, natural talent, and formal training, experience there. The man knows his trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grRVyc_i8-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3v6uz40iMU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Belfort

Status
Not open for further replies.