Construction Management Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLSA

I am an employee but I am interested in owning my own business one day. Would a construction management degree be helpful if I started my own business?

peter d

It would certainly be useful if you want to move past small residential projects, and is a necessity in the world of commercial construction.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am an employee but I am interested in owning my own business one day. Would a construction management degree be helpful if I started my own business?

IMO, not as much as learning the ins and outs of the business you want to be in.

Construction management degrees are mostly for PMs who work for someone else and are not oriented toward owning and operating one's own business.

GLSA

IMO, not as much as learning the ins and outs of the business you want to be in.

Construction management degrees are mostly for PMs who work for someone else and are not oriented toward owning and operating one's own business.

I think being able to learn the business hands on is ideal but unless you know someone who specifically wants to teach you then I do not know how you gain the experience because most business owners do not have the time or necessarily want to train their competition.

peter d

Most, if not all, construction management degree programs will require an internship in order to graduate. This is valuable experience, and will determine if you wasted 4 years or not. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.