Contactor based versus Power Breaker Style ATS for 1000 Amp and above

promeetg

Occupation
Engineer
Hello everyone being inexperienced in this area wondering what is the advantage or disadvantage of opting for a Power breaker style ATS versus Contactor based ATS switches in the 1000 Amp and above applications. Are there specific application segments like pumping station, warehouses where one type of switching mechanism is better?

Thank you for your responses

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve had issues with the motorized breaker type with interlock cables corroding, and sticking causing the switch to fail to transfer. Usually a cabinet heater is added. I think they are more economical though, especially as service equipment.

promeetg

Occupation
Engineer
I’ve had issues with the motorized breaker type with interlock cables corroding, and sticking causing the switch to fail to transfer. Usually a cabinet heater is added. I think they are more economical though, especially as service equipment.
Thank you for this insight. Appreciate the tip on considering a cabinet heater

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Service entrance ratings are usually the biggest issue. You can’t get a SUSE label on a contactor based ATS, unless it also has built in breakers or fuses. So at that point, the cost difference just comes down to the cost of the breaker operators / bolted pressure switches (because it needs GF protection) vs the cost of the contactors and the breaker operators usually win.