Contactors Switching 1 leg of HID Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccrtech

Did some service work the other day to replace a few 1000W MH lamps. I noticed that the fixtures had been wired with a contactor controlled by a photocell. Nothing strange with that, but the lights are 208V 2 pole, The contactor had been used to break only one leg of circuit, so the fixtures had one leg hot and one leg off, when the photo cell is on, the other leg powers up and the fixtures come on. I haven't seen this before, it works, but should it be replaced by a contactor that controls both legs? Just Curious.

Also this is my first post but I have been reading here for a while... A few of you guys seem to have come over from the EKR forum, which is pretty quiet these days.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know of no requirement that both phases be broken by the contactor, and welcome to the Forum.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Bob, You are far wiser than I am, but I have yet to find the requirement.
Help !

480sparky

Bingo.

XIV. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting Systems of More Than 1000 Volts
410.141 Control.
(A) Disconnection. Luminaires or lamp installation shall be controlled either singly or in groups by an externally operable switch or circuit breaker that opens all ungrounded primary conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I've seen it too, but even eith the NEC on CD I can't find it. 410.64 is Liminaires as Raceways.

I'm thinking 410.130 Provisions for HID less than 1000v

That comes close but I can't find it there unless it was a MWBC and the OP sated 208.

Bingo.

XIV. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting Systems of More Than 1000 Volts
410.141 Control.
(A) Disconnection. Luminaires or lamp installation shall be controlled either singly or in groups by an externally operable switch or circuit breaker that opens all ungrounded primary conductors.
I think 1000 MH is less than 1000 volts, is it not ?
How about 410.93?

Does the branch circuit supply the lampholder with the grounded, or does the ballast do that?
I'm kinda with 480sparky there..the circuit feeds the ballast, not the lampholder

I don't care for the OP's arrangement but I'm still hardpressed to say no.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
2008 code:
410.104(B) Switching. Where supplied by the ungrounded conductors of a circuit, the switching device of auxiliary equipment shall simultaneously disconnect all conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.