Continued education

RdmanElect

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What's going on everyone! Im looking for opinions on ways to continue learning national electrical code. I think I need something with more structure as opposed to just opening up my codebook and bouncing around topic to topic. Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What's going on everyone! Im looking for opinions on ways to continue learning national electrical code. I think I need something with more structure as opposed to just opening up my codebook and bouncing around topic to topic. Any ideas?

You might start with our patron's website: https://www.mikeholt.com/

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Our local community College offers courses and the local school system used to. Not sure if they still do or not.

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor

2023 NEC
I think you need SOMEONE, more so than something. Actually, together, they both work better.

Continue to look for an experience master and or retired electrical contractor who is dedicated and sincere and willing to mentor you along the way to pursing an electrical license. Face to face teaching/learning is the best way to get your license, much better than class room training because there's just you and your mentor. No distractors.

Bad news is, you will continue to "bounce around" in your Code book. That's part of the learning process. And once you conquer that I'll bet you'll enjoy and discover that it's an amazing instrument and you'll actually look forward to studying with your mentor. Believe it.

My opinion is Community Colleges are neither! Today, they tend to be or want to be more like universities with expensive courses.
They do not serve the community as they did when they were introduced to the community in the 70's and had very affordable classes.

So, it's like the proverbial needle and the hay stack, but first you got to find the haystack. Go, find it! Keep us informed.

Meanwhile, continue to read the "experts" advice here at Mike Holt's Code Forum and in 10 days you, too, can learn to be a revered Code guru.
Or, a cheerful refund.

Wish you the best.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544

Last edited:

garbo

I strongly recommend joining & attending the nearest IAEI meetings that in my area have 8 great meetings a year that provided two hours of CEU'S. Best part they always have inspectors engineers and electricians to help answer just about anything. I asked one inspector about fire pumps and he referred me to a more knowledgeable inspector in the room. Was lucky enough to attend two IAEI meetings that Mike Holt was the presenter. At least 450 people attended and was told it was the largest gathering of Electrical personnel ever in our large city. I did classes including an OSHA class over the internet but learn so much more attending live classes.

RdmanElect

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I strongly recommend joining & attending the nearest IAEI meetings that in my area have 8 great meetings a year that provided two hours of CEU'S. Best part they always have inspectors engineers and electricians to help answer just about anything. I asked one inspector about fire pumps and he referred me to a more knowledgeable inspector in the room. Was lucky enough to attend two IAEI meetings that Mike Holt was the presenter. At least 450 people attended and was told it was the largest gathering of Electrical personnel ever in our large city. I did classes including an OSHA class over the internet but learn so much more attending live classes.
I was a member to iaei 2 years ago.. thanks for the reminder, I actually forgot about them. Hopefully they are still holding monthly dinners near me. I will look into it

RdmanElect

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
2023 NEC
I think you need SOMEONE, more so than something. Actually, together, they both work better.

Continue to look for an experience master and or retired electrical contractor who is dedicated and sincere and willing to mentor you along the way to pursing an electrical license. Face to face teaching/learning is the best way to get your license, much better than class room training because there's just you and your mentor. No distractors.

Bad news is, you will continue to "bounce around" in your Code book. That's part of the learning process. And once you conquer that I'll bet you'll enjoy and discover that it's an amazing instrument and you'll actually look forward to studying with your mentor. Believe it.

My opinion is Community Colleges are neither! Today, they tend to be or want to be more like universities with expensive courses.
They do not serve the community as they did when they were introduced to the community in the 70's and had very affordable classes.

So, it's like the proverbial needle and the hay stack, but first you got to find the haystack. Go, find it! Keep us informed.

Meanwhile, continue to read the "experts" advice here at Mike Holt's Code Forum and in 10 days you, too, can learn to be a revered Code guru.
Or, a cheerful refund.

Wish you the best.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544
It's actually interesting how many guys at the company I work for are uninformed about the code.it motivates me to learn more and I've witnessed that the more open minded I stay, and remain without an ego, the more I absorb. We all make mistakes and forget simple codes. As an example, I ran parallel conductors the other day for a 400a service (single family dwelling) and used #2s for the neutral and had forgotten the smallest size I could use is 1/0. I misinterpreted article 250.102 (c) (1) and used #2 for the grounded conductor in the column that mentions 4/0 being the largest ungrounded conductor. 2" conduit was ran year prior and It contained many bends. Having a service rated ats, running 4/0-4/0-1/0-1/0 would be impossible.Anyway, I will continue to ask questions and stay humble.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I studied quite a bit for my P.E. by taking practice tests on calculations in the NEC and took a class offered by NFPA.

After that I decided to get my electrical inspector certification to help on a contract I am on. It was a pay bump so I was motivated.

For that one, I bought all of the Mike Holt books and IAEI practice books and just did the practice questions. Since I am not an electrician by trade I also bought a book called NEC Illustrated Guide by Miller. That book helped immensely as it was drawings and they pointed to it and called out relevant code sections with warnings.

I also found posting on here and attempting to answer questions helped also. Discussing and debating topics can help either prove your understanding of a subject or show you how the interpretation is wrong.

I do not mind being wrong. Especially on a online forum where the only consequence is random people think I am an idiot. lol. It is better to get things sorted out then to cement an incorrect way that can have lasting impacts.

TX+ MASTER#4544

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
Our local community College offers courses and the local school system used to. Not sure if they still do or not.
Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area the 'community colleges' are after bigger and more profitable classes without offering courses like electrical, culinary arts, sheet metal and other building trades, etc.
As I mentioned in an earlier post 'community colleges' are neither.
However, I taught electrical at those colleges for almost 20+ years until the Covid pandemic shut every thing down.
Now I focus on private tutoring.
I quit going to the semi-monthly IAEI meetings because they were more geared toward EIs only and or members only.
If you want an excellent book on G&B get Mr. Soares book.
I have read most all of Mr. Miller's articles in Electrical Contractor magazine and have one of his textbooks.
I joined in February, 2024.
Welcome to Mike Holt's Code Forum.
TX+MASTER