continuous grounding at service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmmel

If the grounding conductor is continuous from the ground rod to the water pipe and then to the ground bar can you have a seperate jumper of the same size to the meter can from the ground bar?

Bea

What is the piont of this bonding jumper as the neutral typically bonds the can unless you are taking about a CT can then you would bond from the neutral buss to can in the CT can sized based on 250.66.

Last edited:

jmmel

I agree but local jurisdiction says if a grounding lud exist in the meter can it must be used.

Common sense says you bond the neutral to ground <b>at the service entrance</b> and I've often had to drill through sidewalks to meet this. I will not, at present, stress the importance of a good earth ground.

iwire

Staff member
marshallf3 said:
I will not, at present, stress the importance of a good earth ground.

I will bite.

What do you feel is the importance of a good connection to dirt at a typical dwelling unit?

I would prefer not having the building (or house) dependent on the local providers to provide a good path to ground in the event of lightning. We have new things to deal with here - a strike is not going to burn out a toaster but may other things.

These are matters we need to look at.

iwire

Staff member
marshallf3 said:
I would prefer not having the building (or house) dependent on the local providers to provide a good path to ground in the event of lightning. We have new things to deal with here - a strike is not going to burn out a toaster but may other things.

These are matters we need to look at.

Welcome to the forum marshallf3. :)

I am really glad you said lightning and not 'to clear faults'

You may find some interesting reading if you use the search feature of the forum. I suggest searching for posts by the member bphgravity and the term "lighting"

If your interested cut and paste this URL onto your browser.

www.mikeholt.com/code_forum/search.php?searchid=120152

I'll get that but of course I'm venting a bit. My old (and yes I creak at times) experience with the world is that we must wire to the future. not the past. We have a lot more to protect nowadays and we must - as pros - address the things others can't see in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.