CONTRACTOR ABANDONED SERVICE UPGRADE - Left This Hanging

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Oh I see, this is an anti solar thread. Got it now.
This is not "anti-solar". There are grifters in every trade willing to capitalize on government largesse or incentives. Think "government guaranteed student college loans."

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Easy to say, hard to do. It's not like there's a list, "Crappy EC's to Avoid". Calling previous customers? How many here want to talk to a stranger out of the blue calling about work you had done on your house?

Thank you for your reply ... There is a "Nauti List". The CSLB has a resource for consumers. You can check for proper licensed contractors:
1) Enter your Zip code and your specialty. All proper licensed contractors will be displayed.
2) Enter your contractor's license number, which will display all historical information, good bad and the ugly.

mtnelect

Occupation
Solar is a great alternative to fossil fuels, but when unscrupulous contractors pray on low-income customers that can't protect themselves that crosses the line.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
While you haven't told us much, it sounds like contractor underestimated the red-tape of dealing with LADWP. Or perhaps, thought he could give the customer a better deal by trying to skirt around it. We have no idea how much the customer paid the contractor here. Perhaps the contractor screwed the customer. Or perhaps LADWP's red tape screwed them both.

kwired

Electron manager
The original problem was the customer was still being charged by Water & Power for two meters.
time for owner to call the POCO and close the second account then. If I were the contractor I would have left the drop as well, that is POCO responsibility to remove it. Better hanging higher at the building than laying on the ground. I would have left the second meter as well, though around here POCO would have taken if they were on site when the change was made. My guess is POCO was never notified at all, though if this has smart meter they would been there to see why they are getting no communication with that unused meter. If manual meter reading, it has had no consumption for however long it been out of use which may also trigger investigating into why by the POCO.

mtnelect

Occupation
While you haven't told us much, it sounds like contractor underestimated the red-tape of dealing with LADWP. Or perhaps, thought he could give the customer a better deal by trying to skirt around it. We have no idea how much the customer paid the contractor here. Perhaps the contractor screwed the customer. Or perhaps LADWP's red tape screwed them both.

This case will eventually go to arbitration were both sides will present their facts. Sometimes the contractor doesn't show up and it goes to default, and the contractor will face some form of discipline. Or, the arborator will issue a decision that becomes binding.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This case will eventually go to arbitration were both sides will present their facts. Sometimes the contractor doesn't show up and it goes to default, and the contractor will face some form of discipline. Or, the arborator will issue a decision that becomes binding.
Between who? For what? Why give us these comments that sort of make insinuations but don't really fill in the facts? It's none of our business anyway.

mtnelect

Occupation
Thank you for your reply ... There is a "Nauti List". The CSLB has a resource for consumers. You can check for proper licensed contractors:
1) Enter your Zip code and your specialty. All proper licensed contractors will be displayed.
2) Enter your contractor's license number, which will display all historical information, good bad and the ugly.

Please check my license, No. 326950. Am I on the "Nauti List" ? Too close to Christmas to not have Santa stop by !

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The customer is always right, just packing up and abandoning the project, in my opinion is not right.
Here might be the case like I've seen that customer says to contractor "no more work, won't be paying any more" so what is the contractor to do, can't go back on site. Just pack up and go.
Now the customer is complaining about work not completed when a condition occurs that makes them aware of the shortsighted dismissal.
So even though there are contractors out there that "take the money and run" never completing the work. Seen also many time the reverse "we're not paying for anymore work", forcing the contractor from the site without completing the job.