Contractor advice

Occupation
electrician
So I recently came into certifications in my state that are being pushed lately and becoming mandatory for commercial jobs. DBE-Diverse business enterprise and SDB small diverse business as a minority contractor. I have yet to use them. I currently am looking for a mentor-protege contractor relationship to start going after work. I feel this type will help me avoid a lot of pitfalls while establishing my company.
I’m a Union electrician and recently spoke with a signatory contractor that does low voltage work. He suggested that I stay on the books while I’m working to become signatory. I don’t think I can grow my business as a Union electrician due to bylaws that prohibit us from operating an electric contracting business that competes against Union contractors.
Does anyone have experience or advice in this area? I know ultimately it comes down to me, but I’d like advice from anyone that may have been in a similar situation. I have been focused on leaving and working residential until I can get the resources to jump over. I would be able to use the resources of the mentor contractor once I find that relationship.