Control wiring in raceway with power

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnewport

I am currently installing a UPS system with a remotely located maintenance bypass panelboard and PDU. I need to install a few control wires for the MBP interlock to the UPS. Can these control wires be pulled in with the power conductors? Other than the obvious (insulation rating, raceway fill), what code sections would apply, and is this acceptable?

paul

Re: Control wiring in raceway with power

Code, I believe, doesn't prohibit this. Most manufactures of UPS systems require that the control wiring be in it's own conduit. Personally, from a workmanship perspective, I would suggest to run a separate conduit.

friebel

To: bnewport,
Article 700, Emergency Systems, Section 700.9(B),
states the following:
Wiring from an emergency source distribution overcurrent protection to emergency loads shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment, unless otherwise permitted in (1) through (4).
If I were designing the wiring system I would definetly keep all emergency wiring separate in it's own raceway, be it conduit, ductwork, whatever.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by friebel:
To: bnewport,
Article 700, Emergency Systems, Section 700.9(B),
states the following:
Fribel it is very unlikely a UPS system is covered by Article 700.

It is very likely to be covered by Article 702 and there is no requirement for separation of systems in 702

Bob

bnewport

I dont believe this is considered an emergency system. It only supplies power to computer loads in a data center. The controls are simply an interlock, so that the UPS must be in bypass to allow removal of a key for the breaker locks in the bypass panel. If I am not mistaken, the code allows HVAC control wiring to be installed in the same raceway as power.?.? The reason behind this question is the lack of space in the mechanical room for any more conduit. The wall to be penetrated is floor to ceiling A/C and ductwork. (No finished ceiling)

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.