Control4 Dimmer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I had to replace some fairly new Control 4 Dimmers that were not functioning. Before I did, I checked everything I thought reasonable to check; everything in the switch box, wattage load etc. I found no problems. I then installed the dimmers, turned on the breaker and in about a minute or so the breaker tripped and the dimmers were cooked. Again I looked at everything I could but I'll have to dig deeper. There are two dimmers in one box on one circuit, both were replaced, and are again, not working, and two dimmers in one box, one fine and one of which was dead-replaced-still fine.

The dimmers are adaptive phase 120v dimmers

They are switching a bunch of magnetic LV transformers for roof deck lighting.

Thoughts??

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I had to replace some fairly new Control 4 Dimmers that were not functioning. Before I did, I checked everything I thought reasonable to check; everything in the switch box, wattage load etc. I found no problems. I then installed the dimmers, turned on the breaker and in about a minute or so the breaker tripped and the dimmers were cooked. Again I looked at everything I could but I'll have to dig deeper. There are two dimmers in one box on one circuit, both were replaced, and are again, not working, and two dimmers in one box, one fine and one of which was dead-replaced-still fine.

The dimmers are adaptive phase 120v dimmers

They are switching a bunch of magnetic LV transformers for roof deck lighting.

Thoughts??

How much load do you have connected to these dimmers and how much can they handle?
NOTE: double check the load capacity on the dimmers because the ones I've seen have different values given depending on the type of load actually connected.

CT Tom

Those adaptive dimmers are only good for 600 watts and if you gang them in the same box, that drops to 550 watts max.

Will the load hold if you splice through the connections?

What is your load draw?

What are you doing with the neutral connection?

You have expensive fuses at this point, leave them completely out of the equation and determine where the issue is, or the C4 guy is gonna start getting real pissed at you.

electricmanscott

Those adaptive dimmers are only good for 600 watts and if you gang them in the same box, that drops to 550 watts max.

Will the load hold if you splice through the connections?

What is your load draw?

What are you doing with the neutral connection?

You have expensive fuses at this point, leave them completely out of the equation and determine where the issue is, or the C4 guy is gonna start getting real pissed at you.

I've got about 300 watts per dimmer. The breaker held without the switches in the loop. The neutrals were connected to the switch. So switches in the loop, the breaker tripped, switches fried. No switches, wires spliced through, the breaker holds. Not sure what he case was with the two original switches that were being replaced other than they were not working. Obviously, something is going on but I can figure out what it is.

CT Tom

Now that I'm beer clear and caffeinated up...

With the load spliced through, check for voltage on the neutral.

Since MLV loads can operate on dimmers without a neutral, look in the instructions and install it with the splicing they show for not having a neutral.

Also, are the transformers rated for dimming?

I'm seeing my Control4 guy today, I'll ask him his thoughts.

electricmanscott

Still not fully resolved. The building management replaced some fixtures with failed gaskets that were fairly loaded with moisture. They also installed some Lutron Maestro MLV dimmers that have been fine. Going back soon to move ahead. Going to triple check the load and the neutral.

electricmanscott

Update: Problem Solved!!

Found out through tech support that there's a bug in the C4 software. With some mag LV loads the dimmer doesn't properly recognize them and for whatever reason causes the dimmer to fail. Downloaded patch and all is well.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Update: Problem Solved!!

Found out through tech support that there's a bug in the C4 software. With some mag LV loads the dimmer doesn't properly recognize them and for whatever reason causes the dimmer to fail. Downloaded patch and all is well.

Wow software will kill the dimmer.

So is this software for the Control 4 controller or firmware for the dimmer itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.