Controling a starter through a thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolt277

New User
I am having to up grade an old cutler-hammer starter to one of their new models. The exact model number is a AN16BN0AC this is the cross over from the old one. First, I had to convert if to a single phase starter. By making a jumper from L3 to T2, if you are familiar with this please let me know if I am correct. This starter controls a water pump circulation pump and a heater for a baptistry. The Thermostat on the heater is supposed to control the starter. However, here is my dilemma, I cannot figure out where to terminate the control wire from the thermostat. The power source for all is derived from the same source. Everywhere I have connected the control wire, it does not close the contacts. If some of this does not make sense I will try to clarify, any help would be appreciated.

gar

Occupation
EE
141204-1411 EST

As an electrician you should know how to troubleshoot your circuit. Following is a little help.

Use your eyes or VOM to find two terminals that are the contactor coil. Somehow determine what is the coil rated voltage, and whether it is AC or DC. From somewhere apply that voltage to the coil and see if the contactor operates. Make sure that nothing else is connected to the coil terminals when you apply a test voltage.

If the contactor does work, then you need to know or design the logic circuit that is to control the contactor.

Also desirable to make sure that the thermostat output contacts change state at the required temperature, and that there is some hysteresis.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Everywhere I have connected the control wire, it does not close the contacts. If some of this does not make sense I will try to clarify, any help would be appreciated.

Have you pushed the reset button on the overload unit? Just checking.

If the coil is the same voltage as the motor and you want '2 - wire' control via the T-stat I believe you need to go between L1 and 3.

You also need to verify the T-stat is actually closing the circuit on falling temperature.

See page 74 of this pdf

http://www.alliedelec.com/images/products/datasheets/bm/EATON_CUTLER_HAMMER/70056956.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.