Controlled Receptacle 90 VA or 180 VA?

HG2

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If by the state energy code, we have to have at least 50% of the receptacles in an office controlled, and both the uncontrolled receptacle and the controlled receptacle are on the same yoke, do we carry 90 VA each or 180 VA each? If they were two simplex receptacles they would still be 180 VA each, but they are both on a single yoke.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In an attempt to prevent language from getting in the way of communication, I will avoid using certain words. My view is that if I can plug a lamp's power cord into a "thingy," then I will count that thingy as 90 VA. If it sits on the same yoke as another thingy, then each gets assigned 90 VA. If the two have separate power sources (not necessary for energy code compliance), then each power source will get 90 VA assigned. If they have the same power source but are controlled separately, the question is not relevant, as the calculation is not affected.

I am not sure of your basis for saying that a simplex thingy counts as 180 VA.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I thought the code requirement was 180VA per 'strap' (yoke) for single, duplex, and triplex receptacles, and 90VA per thingie for single devices with 4 or more receptacles.

If that is correct, then a duplex receptacle counts as 180VA _total_, but two singles count as 360VA total

Jon

HG2

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Jon,

From the 2023 NFPA 70, you are correct, per 220.14 Other Loads — All Occupancies.

220.14(I)
I) Receptacle Outlets.

Except as covered in 220.41 and 220.14(J), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke. A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2).
ENHANCED CONTENT
The following exhibit shows the load of 180 volt-amperes applied to single and multiple receptacles mounted on a single yoke or strap, and the load of 360 volt-amperes applied to the outlet containing two duplex receptacles and to the outlet containing the device with four receptacles.

21121083548-70HB20e220-3.PNG

The issue is we have one yoke, but two separate loads. To be on the conservative side,we are going with the 180 VA each receptacle outlet as the intent is to plug in loads that can be turned off, such as space heaters. This is much like a switched receptacle in a dwelling unit bedroom, but the load is not simply lighting.