Controlling HID lighing with Cube Relay ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I was asked if it was ok to control 1000watt HID lighting with a tiny cube relay rated for the amps. To be more specific the Ohmron MJN3C-AC120 Relay. I would think the contacts would weld, but am I wrong? Seems the Cube relay is rated for 10 amps but does that mean also the Horsepower to interrupt the inductive current? The tiny base it sits on I would think would arc if the cube ever came loose... more a BBQ starter in my eyes? :) I know they make more rugged Definite Purpose Contactors but curious what these little cubes are able to handle?

Thanks again in advance.

electricus

Depending on what contact model you get the load could be split between the contacts. I'm sure the manufacture didn't mean for it to be rated this way, but in theory the load would divide as many time as you split it. For instance for the DPDT model you can wire the "line" wire to both common terminals of the relay with a jumper between them. Then do the same for the "load" wire, connect it to both N.O. terminals of the relay and jumper between them. Now each pole can take 10A a piece.

Not sure how this would be viewed, but in theory now it can handle 20 amps total load (10 amps per pole wired in parallel).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not sure how this would be viewed, but in theory now it can handle 20 amps total load (10 amps per pole wired in parallel).
Perfect for contact resistance once closed, but interrupting capacity could be a little more of a problem depending on contact geometry and actuation speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.