Controlls , contactors, relays , etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

I really want to learn more about motor controll , contactors , relays , etc is their any good sites online that I could use like a free program or something.

Rite now money is tight but when I'm better off I want to take some classes on it as well , and buy some books

mgookin

I don't want to insult your intelligence so please have patience (online you never know who's on the other end)

At the most basic level, a relay has two things going on.
1. It receives a control signal.
2. It switches a load.

In the above example, you might have a 12Vdc signal coming into a relay. Upon receipt of that 12Vdc signal, an electromagnetic coil operates and switches a 120Vac load.

For the next level of depth in understanding relays, you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay

I don't know if there's an "official" definition differentiating between a relay and a contactor, but in the industry we say "a relay goes click and a contactor goes clunk" meaning contactors are for heavier loads. Generally contactors are over 20amps (but certainly not always).

liquidtite

And typically a contactor could have more poles on it ,
Like l1 l2 l3 . Doesn't a relay usual just have one circuit on it?

what about any good books

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
No, a relay can have any number of poles.
I once worked on a pipe organ which had 80 or more pole relays in the console. (They were electro-pneumatic relays, but still relays....) And they made more of a soft "thunk" being mostly wood and leather with some felt to keep the noise down.

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
I really want to learn more about motor controll , contactors , relays , etc is their any good sites online that I could use like a free program or something.

Rite now money is tight but when I'm better off I want to take some classes on it as well , and buy some books
Though it has been 25-30 years since I have read any such books I think you want start by looking at some of the books that come up in this search.

Since it has been so long I can't tell you without being able to look at them myself which one's are the better books, but pretty much any of them near the top of the list are likely something you are interested in

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A "free" first step is to look at the wiring diagrams located in equipment catalogs. many of the motor starter manufacturers show various diagrams for their motor controls in their catalogs.

harris23

New User
The training is very important in this field with theoretical knowledge as well. The training venues are providing good solution for controlling and handling these equipment.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The training is very important in this field with theoretical knowledge as well. The training venues are providing good solution for controlling and handling these equipment.

Additionally it is very important that, there is need of training rooms for safety of trainers.

Are you two guys in the same class?
Or are you two guys actually one guy?

You have almost the same join date and almost identical profiles.

Just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.