controls work

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocker3218

Thinking about trying to sell myself as a controls person and wonder what you guys think. I have a lot of experience, and some schooling (Allen Bradley, Modicon, Cutler-Hammer, and Square D to name a few).

Is there a viable market for this type of work, or do most factories employ their own people to do this? Any suggestions on how to market it would be great. It's one of them things for me that I'm sure I can do the work, just not sure how to go after it.

Thanks

dadeo

Re: controls work

this is how it works where i am 1. there are electricians that pipe and wire labeled elect a and elect b 2.nite utility which req a masters license (don't ask me why) 3.industrial elect that do some pipe and wire but also troubleshoot plc's and drives go on line with them to do this but don't change any of the code for thats the comp tech job. as you might of guessed its a union shop

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: controls work

it depends on just what aspect of "controls" you want to get into. if you are talking installation, there is a lot of competition, plus a lot of it is done by or through the oems.

if you want to build controls, forget it. way too competitive, and it seems there is a panel shop on every corner.

if you want to do troubleshooting, thats a possibility, but again most of that work is either in house or oem. the reason is that a lot of the troubleshooting requires specialized knowledge and understanding of the machinery and equipment being used that you probably just don't have, regardless of how many 3 day classes you take.

Status
Not open for further replies.