converting clothes dryer receptacle from 3 prong to 4 prong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

I have a customer that is moving into a house in a week and his dryer is a 4 wire hook-up. The receptacle in that house is 3 prong. He has asked me to convert the receptacle to a 4 prong. The romex is old style 10/3 with no ground. Parts of the basement is finished ceiling and it would be a real hassel to replace the entire length with 10/3 with ground. I was wondering if it would be ok to run a #10 egc to the receptacle and grounding to a H2o pipe on ceiling and if this would violate any codes. Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
  1. Leave the existing three wire receptacle in place.
  2. Change the four wire cord on the dryer to a 3 wire cord.
  3. Be sure to bond the dryer frame to the neutral connection where the cord connects.

See 250.40 exception for details.

dana1028

I was wondering if it would be ok to run a #10 egc to the receptacle and grounding to a H2o pipe on ceiling and if this would violate any codes. Thanks.

Yes this would violate section 250.104(A) - in the 'old' days what you propose was acceptable because the interior water piping was considered part of the electrode system, but this was changed [in 1993 I believe] so that the interior water piping after the 1st 5 ft. is no longer considered part of the electrode system.

Per 250.104(A) you can connect your EGC to any grounding electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.