Cook Top Internal Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What temperature wire should be used for a cook top unit? This would be High-Temp wire that goes from the burners to the thermostat/control knob. I can't seem to find what is required when searching online.
I think around 356F would be close but not for sure.
Anyone know what temperature ranges would be suitable?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
i don't know what the temperature rating is but i had bought some from an appliance repair shop. It has the braided fiber glass on it in addition to the regular insulation.

>>> added: I also found this.
http://www.awcwire.com/ProductTOC.aspx?id=High-Temperature

Thanks!
I saw that site and it's like the others I found, they only give the different temp wires they sell, not what should be for a given application. I actually found another site that has decent prices and they sell by the foot. The prices are shown without having to contact a sales rep.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what I found 450C wire-- Click Here

MGT Wire Applications:

MGT Wire and MG Cable may be used for internal wiring of commercial, industrial and household ovens. MGT wire/MG Wire is ideal for electric heaters and for equipment wiring in iron mills, steel mills, and glass plants. MG Wire may also be used for cement kilns.

MGT Wire Construction:
  • Conductor: Stranded 27% nickel-coated copper
  • Insulation: Glass reinforced mica tapes
  • Jacket: Fiberglass (hi-temp) braid overall

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Does the cook top have a tech sheet or any other wires that you can relate to? If not a model number of the cook top can get you replacement parts on an appliance parts websight. Usually they have replacement wire to some models. My guess is its cheaper than trying to buy high temprature OEM by the foot.

kwired

Electron manager
FWIW, I would guess that other than the first few inches or up to about a foot from connection to the element is only part in a cooktop that is subjected to much of a high temperature. The idea is to transfer heat to the pots and pans used on the top and not to everything in sight. That first foot will have increased temp due to conduction, but otherwise heat rises and all the wiring in a cooktop is below the heating element, not above it.

That said you will likely have at least 250C conductor to elements and likely at least 125C conductor to almost everything else.

The cooktop wire are 200C or 250C, in the past it was only 200C but with the increase power in the recent year, we start the see 250C. Usualy there are UL style 3122 for 200C or UL style 3252 for 250C. One of the drawback of these wire is the smoke, some manufacturier use a lacker that smell really bad when the wire reach 175-180C, when only a small lengh of the wire is at more then these temperature it is not a problem but when all the wire harness is at high temp it smell bad. For new cooktop, we start to see more of the 3586/3772, it dosn't smell that bad and dosn't leave fiberglass on the and of the technician who assemble the cooktop at the factory (don't foget he manipule the wire all day) but cost more.

For a replacement wire I will use UL3252, 250C just to be sure, also don't forget to use nickel plated steel 0.250x0.032 FASTON connector at the element (like the TYCO 42579-1 or 42219-1 these 2 FASTON as been tested with all the majors elements supplier), regular brass will simply melt.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does the cook top have a tech sheet or any other wires that you can relate to? If not a model number of the cook top can get you replacement parts on an appliance parts websight. Usually they have replacement wire to some models. My guess is its cheaper than trying to buy high temprature OEM by the foot.

This is an old obsolete "Chambers" cook top. All I can find on these was for gas operated ones.

The cooktop wire are 200C or 250C, in the past it was only 200C but with the increase power in the recent year, we start the see 250C. Usualy there are UL style 3122 for 200C or UL style 3252 for 250C. One of the drawback of these wire is the smoke, some manufacturier use a lacker that smell really bad when the wire reach 175-180C, when only a small lengh of the wire is at more then these temperature it is not a problem but when all the wire harness is at high temp it smell bad. For new cooktop, we start to see more of the 3586/3772, it dosn't smell that bad and dosn't leave fiberglass on the and of the technician who assemble the cooktop at the factory (don't foget he manipule the wire all day) but cost more.

For a replacement wire I will use UL3252, 250C just to be sure, also don't forget to use nickel plated steel 0.250x0.032 FASTON connector at the element (like the TYCO 42579-1 or 42219-1 these 2 FASTON as been tested with all the majors elements supplier), regular brass will simply melt.

Thank you! That was the info I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.