Coordination Study Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Does anyone know if inspector, plan reviewer really
ask for project’s coordination study report / evident to review
before they can pass the inspection...or this study’s
just a requirement from code that we will need to meet.

JoeStillman

Nobody has ever challenged one of my coordination studies.

My experience is limited to my own conscience. Let your conscience be your guide. And remember there are only code rules for the emergency system.

ron

I have only been asked to show a coordination study in one jurisdiction (NYC, between the first two levels at the service) and none other throughout the US, and I've done a lot in other jurisdictions.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We are on a job where the contractor dragged their feet completing the study-still isn't done. The gear is ready to turn on. We aren't allowing them to energizing for anything other than testing until the study is approved. Somehow it's our fault??? :lol: That goes with the "let your conscious be your guide."

Something tells me whomever did the study hasn't been paid yet. :eek:

lielec11

That's a shame. We do these studies all the time and always ship the report before being paid; it's just how business is done. Even after I submit the report and invoice net-30, client usually drags their feet and pays at 30 days or a few days after.

Think about it, what if contractors worked this way too? Nothing would ever get done unless everything was paid up front...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Other than the few cases where the code requires selective coordination, I am not aware of any requirement to provide a coordination study.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Does anyone know if inspector, plan reviewer really
ask for project’s coordination study report / evident to review
before they can pass the inspection...or this study’s
just a requirement from code that we will need to meet.

I think it all comes down to the specifications for the job. Was a Power System Fault, Coordination and Arc Flash Study called for? Since an electrical inspector is all about the NEC, I can see them asking for proof of compliance with 110.9 Interrupting Rating and 110.16(B) Service Equipment (labeling) Other than that I don't think an entire power study would ever be called out by an NEC inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.