Copper TDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAK

I am trying to find a TDR that could meter cabling other than category 5- cable. Looking for something that could meter 16,18, 22 awg. I have searched online but have not found anything other than network type TDR's. Any thoughts?
Thank You.

bobbyho

MAK, try the Harris TS 100. This tool is awesome. It can be set for a variety of different wire sizes. I use it very often. Finding shorts, opens or how much is left on the roll of 12/2 that is half used. I think they are about 200 to 300 bucks and worth every penny.

cadpoint

bobbyho said:
MAK, try the Harris TS 100. This tool is awesome. It can be set for a variety of different wire sizes. I use it very often. Finding shorts, opens or how much is left on the roll of 12/2 that is half used. I think they are about 200 to 300 bucks and worth every penny.

Well I just looked at that tool and this length of wire remaining was not defined...

So one shorts the lines together or your just reading the resistance of wire or what ? It there math involved?
Care to clarify ?

bobbyho

It needs to measure a pair of wires. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a tool to measure a single conductor to see how long it is. The TS 100 comes with directions that tell you how to set the velocity of probogation (sp?) I have mine set for 12 awg which is really close to the 14awg as well. Maybe a 1 foot difference when working with it. Close enough for trouble shooting. It can measure up to about 10 miles. I was introduced to this when I worked for the phone company. In addition it also sends tone out on the line so you can also use it as a toner. One less tool you would have to buy that is also a must have for any electrician or data person. If anyone does have a formula for measuring a single conductor that can give you the length, please let me know. I supposedly had a formula years ago but I can no longer find it.

wptski

bobbyho said:
It needs to measure a pair of wires. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a tool to measure a single conductor to see how long it is. The TS 100 comes with directions that tell you how to set the velocity of probogation (sp?) I have mine set for 12 awg which is really close to the 14awg as well. Maybe a 1 foot difference when working with it. Close enough for trouble shooting. It can measure up to about 10 miles. I was introduced to this when I worked for the phone company. In addition it also sends tone out on the line so you can also use it as a toner. One less tool you would have to buy that is also a must have for any electrician or data person. If anyone does have a formula for measuring a single conductor that can give you the length, please let me know. I supposedly had a formula years ago but I can no longer find it.
Just curious as to what VP setting your using for #12/14 AWG?

bobbyho

I don't remember what setting it is.I set it about 5 years ago and lost the directions. I don't shoot many phone troubles anymore so I haven't had a reason to reset the VOP. You can probably get the directions online.

wptski

bobbyho said:
I don't remember what setting it is.I set it about 5 years ago and lost the directions. I don't shoot many phone troubles anymore so I haven't had a reason to reset the VOP. You can probably get the directions online.
Actually, I did. What I find odd is that in the Q/A there is a question about a typical outdoor extension cord and a VOP of 56 is stated. You can find VOP by knowing the cord/wire lenght and adjusting VOP till you get the right lenght. I've found the VOP of outdoor extension cord to be 61 which works exactly on #10, 12 and 14 AWG of different lenghts.:confused: Oh well....

Status
Not open for further replies.