Copper vs. Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdK

I am an Engineer/Program Manager here at Denver International Airport, and am trying to evaluate our existing Lightning Protection systems, program and Specifications. I am trying to find some reliable, un-biased information concerning any preferences for copper or aluminum, specifically for Lightning Protection components.

NFPA780 and UL96A have no real preference, as long as the size, etc, is correct. Our chief Electrical Inspector insists on nothing but copper. He has many years of experience as an electrician and inspector, (and is also a friend).

I know that in many power applications, that aluminum conductor is a problem. However, I can find nothing to confirm the maintenance nightmares my friend discusses concerning aluminum for lightning protection applications. Even Copper.org did not have any information thqat was convincing.

I am trying to find some documentation or other technical information to support taking a position in our program and specs to demand copper components.

This is important, because we have some galvalume roofing components.

Any info?:???:

Thanks,

Ed

ron

I also generally prefer copper.
I end up with aluminum on a roof, when the parapet cap is made of aluminum and the interconnecting air terminal conductors will touch it occasionally, then it also must be aluminum. After the interconnections, I have them switch to copper using an appropriate CU/AL splice.

I just figure, I might as well have the least impedance that I can. Also some aluminum conductors seem to interact more with rain water and leave yucky colored stains.

Status
Not open for further replies.