Cord-and-Plug Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

I have a water equipment installation. The equipment includes a well pump, house pump, and water softner. The pumps are supplied through pressures switches.

Two, 250V - 20A rceptacles are installed approx. 12' from the equipment pad. From the pressure switch for the well pump is an orange extension cord hard-wired to the switch, exposed for about 3', run through a sinbgle lenth of Sch 80 PVC, exposed on the other end for another 2' and plugged-in. The other pressure switched is fed with what appears to be a dryer or range cord. Again this is hard-wired to the switch and plugged into the receptacle around 8' away. Both cord-caps where field installed.

Anyone comments on this one?

pierre

Re: Cord-and-Plug Use

400.8 Uses not permitted.
(1) As a subsitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this code.

We see this on septic systems alot. Have them extend the receptacle wiring closer to the septic system.

allenwayne

430.42 C is a start.Also you didn`t say are their 2 seperate circuits of the same ampacity or 1 circuit tapped.Also is this indoors or outside ?

dillon3c

Originally posted by bphgravity:
The other pressure switched is fed with what appears to be a dryer or range cord.

Anyone comments on this one?
*I'm sorry,and I will take the flack afterwards.

In this method alone,I see a problem..I don't see it in the refering to any other notes associated after the table of 400.4, in this usage being approved, for other than the intended use.

IMO..
I say this alone,would be in standing violation, in this usage, in the above.

Any opinions?

[ September 22, 2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

bphgravity

Actually, I determined the cord to be of the SPT-3 type. Still not exactly a suitable use nor do I think it is for use in wet locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.