cord-and-plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmonroe

Our company is upgrading from HID to High Bay Florescent T8 lighting fixtures. The HID are directly wired to the 4x4 handy boxes on the ceiling beams. We will install the new florescent fixtures with cord-and-plugs. We will install receptacles in the existing 4x4 handy boxes in the ceiling.

Should we use twist-lock type plugs and receptacles or should we use straight blade type plugs and receptacles? I looked through the N.E.C. and could not find the wiring method for this application?

Thank you,

Guest.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: cord-and-plug

You are confusing me Bryan (not hard to do). Do you mean a twist lock is required? I don't see that in 410.30?

Steve

bphgravity

No, I wasn't suggesting anything is or isn't required, just where to find the code on the subject matter. But now that you ask, no its not required to be twist-lock.

mdshunk

BUT... if you don't choose twist-lock, you could be asking for trouble. I know that you can get these T8 and T5 high bays pre whipped with twist lock cords, but I don't even think the manufacturer's even offer straight blade as an option... for good reason.

james wuebker

petersonra
You asked why a twist-lock. I use them all the time when installing lights up in a high ceiling. I think they hold better in the recep. than the straight blade type. It's not a code issue but that's what I like.
Bye now,
Jim

rmonroe

In a plant that I used to work at the original florescent lighting used straight blade type plugs (277 15amp). I always thought the reasoning was if the fixture were accidentally pulled down that this type of plug would pullout of the receptacle. This would help eliminate the possibility of electrical wires from being pulled from the fixture or the receptacle box.

rmonroe

dillon3c

Originally posted:
The requirements for this type of installation can be found in section 410.30(C).
I think this wording in the 2005 NEC of 410.30(c) refering to 406.4(c), could easily have been misconstruded to infer plug-and cord attached luminaire (fixture)to receptacle device would in fact have been terminated, in a locking type cord assembly.

605.4(c) Receptacles and Connectors

Receptacles and connectors shall be of the locking type uniquely polarized and identified for the purpose,and shall be part of a listed assembly for the appropriate system.

After reading Authors first posting,in changing of fixtures..To be honest, this one had snuck-up on me. In the misunderstanding of the intent, of NEC launguages..

james wuebker

rmonroe, Very good point but if the fixture was pulled down I believe they would have another problem that being the fixture falling on someone but your point had some theory about it.
Jim

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks Bryan, I didn't think you were saying one is required, but I wasn't sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.