Cord connected Video Projector Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Cord connected Video Projector Lift

It would really depend on the listing. I didn't look long, but I didn't see where UL or any NRTL was mentioned. If it does have a listing as a unit, the NEC would only come to play before and at the point of connection.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I just saw a number of these installed by an AV contractor who simply plugged the cord in above the hung ceiling to a receptacle provided by the electrical contractor. I noticed in Mike Holt's Illustrated Changes to the 2002 NEC he has a picture showing a similar installation and clearly indicated that it violates 400.8(5).

amptech

Draper, the company that makes the lifts is near by me. I worked on wiring their last plant(4 acres)in 2000. The other electrician and I brought this point to their attention 5 years ago. The lifts we installed in their demonstration areas, conference rooms and training rooms were hard wired with a flex whip. We told them the units should be shipped with an armored whip but like anywhere else in the business world, they aren't going to change until $ talk. So far, to my knowledge, no one of authority has taken issue with it.

benaround

In the sales pitch it offered an optional plenum enclosure. So,where does the cieling start? Access panels were also available.Think of it as a giant bath fan---abstract.

frank

mc5w

Unless specifically permitted in 400.7 ....

400.7 has

(3) Connection of... mobile...appliances
(4) Elevator cables
(5) Cranes and hoists
(9) Connection of moving parts

This is permitted by Code 4 different ways unless a plenum ceiling is being used. However, plenum ceilings suck in all kinds of ways besides wiring methods such as that a plenum ceiling cannot suck cold air off the floor. If a plenum ceiling has wood fiber or asbestos fireproofing your in for some sick people. The wood fiber stuff also contains corn starch which makes it doubly allergenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.