Cord connecting air handler

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

Is anything in the code that prevents me from adding a cord to a airhandler/furnace so if she loses power she could just unplug it and plug it in to the generator. My customer does not want to go through proper generator wiring and simply wants to only plug in fridge and plug in air handler/furnace.

highvolts582

Before I look any further, is it listed for cord connection. Manufacturers instructions?[/QUOTE

Did not go to the job yet hoping just to show up pop it in get paid and drive off into the sunset if its legal. listing and labeling is a good point. I know there is not a picture in the directions to explain how to do this, but everyone is plugging in dishwashers these days. Why not use 12 gauge cord great plug and a better than residential grade single receptacle.:happyyes: I will find out the model name and call the company in the morning.

jumper

Yes, dishwashers are cord connected these days, but if you check-most are probably not 100% kosher since you are supposed to use a cord supplied/okayed by the manufacturer.

422.16(B)(2) Built-in Dishwashers and Trash Compactors. Built-in
dishwashers and trash compactors shall be permitted to be
cord-and-plug-connected with a flexible cord identified as
suitable for the purpose in the installation instructions of
the appliance manufacturer where all of the following conditions
are met:

Last edited:

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
I do not know of any manufacturer that allows cord and plug on central furnaces unless local code allows it. Some say central furnaces meet the requirements of NEC 400.7(A)(8). However CSA (the people who write the ANSI standard for central furnaces) say properly installed central furnaces do not meet the requirements of NEC 400.7(A)(8). Therefore unless your local AHJ allows cord and plug it should not be used.

Also if your AHJ allows cord and plug some manufacturers require an additional means of disconnect.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would you want to cord and plug a furnace. It is must easier to just install a sp switch as a disconnect and direct wire it. Too easy to unplug a furnace and if it is in a basement or crawl it would have to be GFCI protected.

highvolts582

Why would you want to cord and plug a furnace. It is must easier to just install a sp switch as a disconnect and direct wire it. Too easy to unplug a furnace and if it is in a basement or crawl it would have to be GFCI protected.

Its not in a basement or an attic she just wants to be able to use it on a generator without a generator transfer switch.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Its not in a basement or an attic she just wants to be able to use it on a generator without a generator transfer switch.

Well there is another method though not quite compliant. I have used a 3 way switch connecting one side to the power and the other to a male receptacle cord cap. It is non compliant but I don't see it as dangerous. I did it once many years ago.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Well there is another method though not quite compliant. I have used a 3 way switch connecting one side to the power and the other to a male receptacle cord cap. It is non compliant but I don't see it as dangerous. I did it once many years ago.

What part of it is non-compliant? It is still hard wired.

growler

I think it's kind of a gray area. It may not be exactly to code but would not be considered a hazard.

If I wanted to do this I would call the local AHJ and see how they feel about it. I think they could give "special permission" for this.

highvolts582

The male cord cap could be live and dangerous if switch in the other position. I guess the same could be said for a power inlet box for a generator. If i use a power inlet box 120. This could work as long as there is another disconnect switch before this setup.

I called American Standard it is a freedom 90 furnace they said its up to the inspector he said they have follow local state codes in the paper work on that. So its up to them. He has no problem with it.
Now I will call the inspector.

mtfallsmikey

A lot of manufactured home furnaces had 2-wire plugs/receps. built in to disconnect the oil burner. I would use a twist lock though, would not want a regular plug to loosen up, especially if the HO went on vacation during the winter, furnace goes off,pipes frozen, etc., You know where I'm going with that....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The male cord cap could be live and dangerous if switch in the other position. I guess the same could be said for a power inlet box for a generator. If i use a power inlet box 120. This could work as long as there is another disconnect switch before this setup.
The only time the male cord cap is energized is from the generator. It would not be a hazard because it would have to be plugged in to be energized.

bobsherwood

I once put a 120v relay in my father in laws furnace with a cord and male cord cap. When connected to his generator, the power would go to coil and to line side of relay then feed unit. And would open connection to house power to protect power company.

highvolts582

So I asked the the manufacture the guy said he did not see a problem with it but he noted it was not against the listing or labeling but in the directions it said to follow local codes. its up to AHJ.

I got a hold of the inspector finally today and he shot me down. And said he needs it in writing from the manufacture with an engineers stamp. So thats out the window.

Any perfectly legal quick cheap ways to fire up a furnace or hardwired appliance with an extension cord from a generator during a power loss, Whithout going through traditional transfer switch, Detailed labeling, normal setup.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Use a three-way switch as your "transfer" switch. Furnace on "Common", Utility on one "traveler", generator on the other.

highvolts582

Use a three-way switch as your "transfer" switch. Furnace on "Common", Utility on one "traveler", generator on the other.

Ill throw it across his belt in the morning In the morning. I would assume i could just attach a 3 prong 120 volt power inlet with a flip cover. (I use these for surge protecting flat screens with a high joule surge protector that would not fit behind TV.)

The only thing that bothers me about this is what happens when or if the 3 way failed. That means someones life is on the line of a 3.50 cent switcharoo. I thought a twist lock would be safer cause there is no way in hell anything could go wrong. And just get the 120 volt twist lock adapter for my customers generator cord. The code supersedes logic here and there. Three phase equipment can get plugged in and we all know what can happen when we lose a phase on a motor. I guess its not against the code but a listing and labeling issue. I am over it.

I Broke her heart today but at least she is on the same page as me about doing it legal. She even offered me to send her a bill for my trouble calling around. I cordially declined but now I really want to make her happy. She said the normal generator install was too much moolah and she is terrified of having anything involved that could damage her solar system.

highvolts582

no luck

no luck

Sorry to back late on this one. I re-begged on the 3 way power inlet solution and he said no way only if its in the directions to do so. I did not have to check in the directions to know it did not. He was stiff I am not offended but common sense tells me neither makes a difference . I ask my self 3 questions Does it have a higher chance to shock someone? Can this start a fire? Can this damage or lessen the life of the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.