Cord Grips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything in the code about this.
Industrial plant wants to hang soj/w cord from ceiling using kellam( Chinese Fingers). Seen it done before.

Except I am a little worried about hanging these from 4 square emt boxes. It will be 120 volt cords for saws that move from workstation to workstation.

Any help would be appreciated.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Cord Grips

It's a pretty common installation technique.

Whether it technically meets code or not is another thing, since I don't know if the grips are listed for use on a cord.

The code does allow the use of cord . see article 400. 400.7(A)(6) and (8) specifically talks about this type of application and specifically allows it.

shocker3218

please use something other than a 4 square. A cast FS or even a standard weatherproof box would be a beter option. May avoid a costly OSHA fine later on.

mdshunk

What I've ALWAYS done is swag the cord away from the box a few inches and put a 1/4-20 eye-bolt in a beam clamp and hang the cord grip off that eye bolt. This totally takes the possible stress off the box. I've seen installations done that way too, but with a drawbar spring between the cord grip and the eye bolt/beam clamp assembly.

I would add that you'd be better off using buss drop cord instead of regular SJO or SO, since buss drop cord has the tough plastic reinforcing fibers inside of it, much like the pendant cords for hoist pendant stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.