Cord supported pendant boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rojo

I have several receptacles which are flexible cord supported pendant boxes. The boxes are 4X metal with knockouts usually mounted structurally. It is supported with strain relief per 314.23(H)(1). I was recently told that box is not listed for "portable" use and would need to be replaced with a listed pendant box. The problem, I am told, is that when used, the metal box is grasped exposing the user to potential current. Sounds reasonable to me.

raider1

Staff member
314.23(H)(1) requires the pendant box to have a hub. A 4 square box does not meet the strain relief requirements of 314.23(H)(1).

Chris

wireguru

besides NEC violations, OSHA specifically prohibits this. If the box is meant for mounting to the building -you cant put it on the end of cord.

barclayd

314.23(H)(1) requires the pendant box to have a hub. Chris

The way I read it, the box shall be supported ... in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as ....

The hub thing is one example of how to do that - there may be others.

db

I have several receptacles which are flexible cord supported pendant boxes. The boxes are 4X metal with knockouts usually mounted structurally. It is supported with strain relief per 314.23(H)(1). I was recently told that box is not listed for "portable" use and would need to be replaced with a listed pendant box. The problem, I am told, is that when used, the metal box is grasped exposing the user to potential current. Sounds reasonable to me.

I am a little confused.

Are the pendant boxes mounted structurely?

rojo

Pierre, the boxes are not mounted structurally nor stationary. They are connected to a dangling cable mounted only with the threaded hub to the top of the box for strain relief.

Are these type boxes solely (per its listing) for stationary mounting?

raider1

Staff member
Pierre, the boxes are not mounted structurally nor stationary. They are connected to a dangling cable mounted only with the threaded hub to the top of the box for strain relief.

Are these type boxes solely (per its listing) for stationary mounting?

A 4 square box does not contain a hub. I think what you are referring to is a cord grip with a kellem strain relief that is attached to the 4 square box with a lock ring.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.